Long vs McGovern vs UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WembyFutureGoat

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm trying to decide how to rank the Texas schools I have interviewed at (Long, McGovern, UTMB, TTU Lubbock, TCOM - no prematches). I'm really struggling with the top 3, though I know I'd be more than happy at any of the schools. I have toured every school so I got to learn a bit more about student life. Also, if I list any incorrect info please let me know lol. To my knowledge, all 3 have fairly similar match rates, particularly for competitive specialties. I'm interested in orthopedics and radiology but also don't have exposure to the majority of specialties so that could change later down the road.

Long
Pros:
  • Shortened preclinical curriculum - 4 flex months for Step 1 study time, extracurricular research/volunteering/shadowing, and ability to start rotations earlier
  • Hometown (family support + Spurs!)
  • Experience with University Hospital and Long physicians - awesome people
  • Seems like most prestigious school of the 3 - (I went to a T20 undergrad and found that that this can be both a positive for opportunities but also can attract a more competitive/cocky crowd, unsure if that carries over to med school)
  • Very cool integration of ultrasound into curriculum

Cons:
  • No P/F curriculum
  • Not that it really matters for my rankings, but stats-wise it's a bit out of my league (513 MCAT, 3.65 undergrad GPA + 4.0 grad GPA at UNTHSC MedSci if that matters). Main concern is if that could result in no P/F harming my ability to stand out positively.

McGovern
Pros:
  • 1 sem P/F
  • TMC is awesome, tons of opportunities - students said their McGovern email gets them in the door to almost anything in TMC, hard to pass up on
  • School pride on producing the most clinically strong physicians
  • Strongest standardized patient training system --> clinical strength

Cons:
  • Unsure on campus/class vibe, seems like it can potentially be cutthroat. Med school is going to be 4 years so I definitely want a place where I can make strong friendships and have a collaborative (not competitive) learning environment
  • Seems like students may struggle to have a life outside of medical school (relatively, obviously medical school is very difficult/time consuming)
  • Relatively insignificant but parking sucks lol

UTMB
Pros:
  • P/F preclinical
  • Best campus culture/vibe of all the schools - school pride in having the happiest students who have lives outside of medicine
  • TDCJ Hospital is super unique - get more active learning experience and see "zebras"
  • Loved my campus tour in large part because of how friendly everyone was, connected well with others

Cons:
  • Galveston is charming but I could see it being something people get tired of/don't have new things to experience
  • Least prestigious/academic quality (not sure if this matters because its still very strong, only lower in comparison to the other 2)
  • Students don't seem to engage in research much as MS1
  • Less opportunity for research/volunteering/shadowing by virtue of smaller city
  • All P/F may make it harder to distinguish yourself for residency apps
Tentatively thinking 1. Long 2. McGovern 3. UTMB. I think in some ways my heart is with UTMB's campus culture/vibe and brain is with McGovern's clinical preparedness, Long is in my hometown and seems to have a mix of both and fewest cons. Please let me know if y'all have any advice/helpful info.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user