Long Winded Road to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittlePuppy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys! I'm currently aspiring to get into a medical school, but not exactly on the road going there yet. My current situation dictates that I work in another health care field first, then continue to improve my GPA (foreign BS degree) and the like. As of now, I'm currently in a masters program. I know how masters program aren't exactly looked at during the AMCAS/AAMCOMAS, but I want to show an upward trend. So my question is, how crucial/necessary would it be for me to get a 4.0 in this program?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, guys! I'm currently aspiring to get into a medical school, but not exactly on the road going there yet. My current situation dictates that I work in another health care field first, then continue to improve my GPA (foreign BS degree) and the like. As of now, I'm currently in a masters program. I know how masters program aren't exactly looked at during the AMCAS/AAMCOMAS, but I want to show an upward trend. So my question is, how crucial/necessary would it be for me to get a 4.0 in this program?

Thank you very much!

If you're trying to recover from a sub-par undergrad GPA (and knowing that your master's GPA is separate from your undergrad GPA), I'd say it's very important to aim for a 3.8+ GPA.

If you're trying to recover from a sub-par undergrad GPA (and knowing that your master's GPA is separate from your undergrad GPA), I'd say it's very important to aim for a 3.8+ GPA.

Thank you for your response! Would it be a big difference if it’s 3.8 vs a 4.0 gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
A perfect 4.0 definitely has the "wow" factor, but a 3.8 definitely shows that you found success in the program as well.

I had a 2.7 in undergrad. Then went into a post-bacc program affiliated with my medical school and finished the year with a 3.9 (I got two A-'s). I got accepted there, but got exactly ZERO interviews at any other program.

@Kissmyabjj Hey, I'm in a very similar situation to you (2.86 UG cGPA). I was wondering what program you did your post-bacc at, because I haven't found a <3.0 program that seems likely to matriculate even a 4.0 post-bacc GPA student to med school.

Thank you very much!

do you mind clarifying what you mean here?