You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Longest/Hardest Name of a Medication
Started by pharmer2014
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm designing a t-shirt for our college. I wanted to know the names of some medications which are unusually long or are really hard to pronounce.
Thanks!
Try- phenazopyridine, ondansetron, hydrochloroquinone, azathioprine, polyethylene glycol (PEG), medroxyprogesterone, methylprednisolone,
this is fun

Most generics which are not out in the market have mouthful names, especially the ones for HIV and cancer. Go to drugs.com and look for new approved drug names on the first page ...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The generic name for Keppra.
The generic name for Keppra.
Levetiracetam?
Kinda tricky pronouncing it lol.
Here is my contribution: succinylcholine
Gemtuzumab ozogamicin
Denileukin diftitox
RimabotulinumtoxinB
Denileukin diftitox
RimabotulinumtoxinB
Gemtuzumab ozogamicin
Denileukin diftitox
RimabotulinumtoxinB
I think we have a winner.👍
Methyl ergonamine maleate
succinylcholine
succinylcholine
The generic name for Keppra.
LOL! that's what we refer to it as too!
The generic name for Integrilin too.
D
deleted205891
I got the longest, hardest medication in my pants 🙂
Had to make that joke. But seriously, patients have a hard time with hydrochlorothiazide, and I concur with levetiracetam. Also hydroxychloroquine.
How about n-acetyl-paraaminophenol? This is the chemical name for APAP, in case people didn't know.
Had to make that joke. But seriously, patients have a hard time with hydrochlorothiazide, and I concur with levetiracetam. Also hydroxychloroquine.
How about n-acetyl-paraaminophenol? This is the chemical name for APAP, in case people didn't know.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you want a fun one, the generic name for Cialis starts: Ta-Da
I'm doing some kind of report on the drug Synagis right now.
I only call it Synagis because for some reason palivuzumab just doesn't stick.
I only call it Synagis because for some reason palivuzumab just doesn't stick.
This thread looks fun. Can I nominate it for resurrection & relocation to either Pharmacy or Pre-Pharm?
Bevacizumab gave some of us fits on the last top 200 exam.
Dexchlorpheniramine?
I am lurking from the pre-pharm board, but I love this! And since I'm sitting in my hospitals PO section let me look around...
1. Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim ( I just call this Sulfa-trim)
However, I always say bisacodyl and fluticasone wrong.
1. Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim ( I just call this Sulfa-trim)
However, I always say bisacodyl and fluticasone wrong.
Dexchlorpheniramine?
Generic adderall may have a really long name?
This thread looks fun. Can I nominate it for resurrection & relocation to either Pharmacy or Pre-Pharm?
Yes you may.
EDIT: Using the report function works a little better for getting our attention.
Propylthiouracil
Diphenylhydantoin (aka phenytoin)
Ansolysen (a long-obsolete blood pressure drug)
I've seen hydralazine, naproxen, and chlorthalidone used as National Spelling Bee words, and even the word "pharmacist" in an early, non-televised round. That youngster got it wrong. 😳
Diphenylhydantoin (aka phenytoin)
Ansolysen (a long-obsolete blood pressure drug)
I've seen hydralazine, naproxen, and chlorthalidone used as National Spelling Bee words, and even the word "pharmacist" in an early, non-televised round. That youngster got it wrong. 😳
Even though they're not medications, investigational compounds have crazy difficult names. In journal club recently, there was a paper about N-((8-hydroxy-7-quinolinyl) (4-methylphenyl)methyl)benzamide. Authors had to call it HQBA for short.
And have you seen what AMPA -- as in AMPA receptors -- stands for??? (And yes, I know this thread is over one year old, so the OP won't need my suggestions anymore).
And have you seen what AMPA -- as in AMPA receptors -- stands for??? (And yes, I know this thread is over one year old, so the OP won't need my suggestions anymore).
Sticking with the chemical names, there is dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane- DDT for short. My sixth grade science teacher gave us extra credit for learning how to spell that, and it has stuck ever since.
How about isometheptenemucate dichloralphenazone acetaminophen or better yet u always have fockitol 500mg
Years ago I would have nominated:
Dioctylsodiumsulfosuccinate, but they went and changed the name to Docusate because nobody could pronounce it. It was also called DSS. At the present tme I cant for the life of me pronounce that homeopathic flu medication:
Oscillococcinum
Dioctylsodiumsulfosuccinate, but they went and changed the name to Docusate because nobody could pronounce it. It was also called DSS. At the present tme I cant for the life of me pronounce that homeopathic flu medication:
Oscillococcinum
Years ago I would have nominated:
Dioctylsodiumsulfosuccinate, but they went and changed the name to Docusate because nobody could pronounce it. It was also called DSS. At the present tme I cant for the life of me pronounce that homeopathic flu medication:
Oscillococcinum
All the Cs are pronounces with an "S" except for the second one.
Ahsilluhmkossinum
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All the Cs are pronounces with an "S" except for the second one.
Ahsilluhmkossinum
And the first M is silent.
I suppose this would be an appropriate time to link this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXROnzpsrlg
(explicit word at the end, if you're at work)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXROnzpsrlg
(explicit word at the end, if you're at work)
I suppose this would be an appropriate time to link this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXROnzpsrlg
(explicit word at the end, if you're at work)
Ha! That was good.
Thiazolidinedione is really hard to say for somebody who hasn't heard it pronounced before. Now, I know it's not a drug (but rather a drug class), but still... Fun to watch people try.
Zirtek, interesting spelling. Also paracetamolI suppose this would be an appropriate time to link this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXROnzpsrlg
(explicit word at the end, if you're at work)

I have a running joke with a classmate that I'm going to name my kids thiazolidinedione and oxazolidinone.Thiazolidinedione is really hard to say for somebody who hasn't heard it pronounced before. Now, I know it's not a drug (but rather a drug class), but still... Fun to watch people try.
Well, not everyone's from the States.Zirtek, interesting spelling. Also paracetamol![]()

Heck, Allegra is Telfast over there... It was weird seeing the same packaging style but a different name when I had to purchase some. Since I was in Hong Kong, I thought I was buying a fake medicine for a bit!

A few of my friends went on spring break to Mexico, and they got pictures with a bottle of Atorvastatina. Apparently Lipitor was a female product.Well, not everyone's from the States.
Heck, Allegra is Telfast over there... It was weird seeing the same packaging style but a different name when I had to purchase some. Since I was in Hong Kong, I thought I was buying a fake medicine for a bit!![]()
A few of my friends went on spring break to Mexico, and they got pictures with a bottle of Atorvastatina. Apparently Lipitor was a female product.
I thought the article determined the gender.
But it is kinda funny that the name translated over that way. Makes you wonder if levothyroxin is... wait for it... levothyroxina.
Indeed it does, but in this case, we don't see "La Atorvastina" or "El", for that matter. I'm not entirely sure, but I think since it is a noun and ends with an "a" instead of an "o", we automatically assume it is a feminine noun.
Pero, no se.
Pero, no se.
Also a quick pronunciation tip (something I observed so take it with a grain of salt):
If a drug name has four syllables, stress the second (met-O-pro-lol)
If a drug name has five syllables, stress the third (cy-clo-BEN-za-prine)
Of course there are exceptions...
If a drug name has four syllables, stress the second (met-O-pro-lol)
If a drug name has five syllables, stress the third (cy-clo-BEN-za-prine)
Of course there are exceptions...
I say ep-tee-fy-buh-tideDid someone already say eptifibatide?
ep-TIF-i-ba-tide

The word oxyphenbutazone holds the title for the highest possible score for a single play under American tournament Scrabble rules, scoring 1,780 points across three triple-word-score squares, joining seven tiles to eight already played tiles. The word was played by Micheal Cresta.
I say ep-tee-fy-buh-tide![]()
I've heard that before too. Lexi-comp will pronounce drug names and I usually go with their pronunciation but how do we know they have it right? Is there a scientific pronunciation reference they have that isn't published? Haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K