longest reasonable commute during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nprap

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this on the general residency forum but figured I may get some better advice here. Here's my situation: I'm applying for rads residency but since my husband works in NYC, I'm geographically limited to the area. My question is, how long can a commute be during rads residency? I have an interview in Yale and was wondering if we could live somewhere in between Manhattan and New Haven.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is whatever you are willing to put up with...

I know some residents that bought houses in the burbs and lived 30-40 minutes away. I personally stayed in the hospital housing and enjoyed being able to roll out of bed 6:45, throw on some scrubs, head to the cafeteria and still make it to 7 am conference on time. These days I drive 30+ minutes to work.

You have in-house call as a resident so you don't have to worry about being called in and being too far away. Commuting adds 1-1.5 hours to your day and physically drains you a bit. At some point if your commute gets too long, it just isn't worth it. Only you can decide what is that actual point. It won't be the residency that is the rate limiting factor, but rather your tolerance of the situation.

we got a resident who has like a 2? hour commuete to get to work. I wouldn't do it. But if willing, its possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
we got a resident who has like a 2? hour commuete to get to work. I wouldn't do it. But if willing, its possible.

How does that work with being on call? Don't you have to live within a certain distance to the hospital?

in house call in the hospital. no IR call at our program. Post call I think the resident stays with a family member who lives closer.

in house call in the hospital. no IR call at our program. Post call I think the resident stays with a family member who lives closer.

This would vary from program to program, no?

every program is different