look at hemepath slides during fellowship interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greencreek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, I will apply to hemepath fellowship this year. I wonder if you will be asked to look at hemepath slides and make a diagnosis on each case, I know my colleagues who got GI fellowship was given slide test during fellowship interview. Any experienced people to answer this question?

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't asked to look at any. You will, however, have to converse fluently in English about hemepath topics. Be prepared for anything.

Highly unlikely there will be a slide test for hemepath.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dunno about heme, but I know someone who had an actual test along with the other fellow applicants. Think it was for surg path fellowship.

Can someone explain this? Why are applicants being asked to look at slides during a fellowship interview? Aren't they seeking a fellowship because they want to learn? What does it mean if they know everything they're being shown? Do they really need to do a fellowship?

----- Antony

Can someone explain this? Why are applicants being asked to look at slides during a fellowship interview? Aren't they seeking a fellowship because they want to learn? What does it mean if they know everything they're being shown? Do they really need to do a fellowship?

----- Antony

Some fellows act as junior staff and sign out cases on their own. Some also sign out frozens after hours. In these scenarios a slide test seems totally appropriate to me.

I thought that's supposed to be where "graduated responsibility" came in. Yeah, it's true not every wanna-be fellow is at the same level, but having people tested during an interview for a training position doesn't sit very well with me either. Not quite the same as a national standardized test to, say, get into medical school. But I suppose some programs don't feel they can trust letters of recommendation, etc., and have decided to come up with something else. Programs kinda have to look after themselves first, and teach second.

Yes, I am torn on that issue as well. On one hand, like Green Mantis said, the point of fellowship is that you want to get trained in the subspecialty (not that you already know it). On the other hand, one would expect that if an applicant is seriously interested in hemepath, GI, dermpath, etc, then the applicant has probably spent a good deal of time studying that topic, doing electives in it, etc and that they have a decent knowledge of the specialty.

I supposed if the test is created in such a way as to see if the person truly is interested in the subspecialty, then it makes sense. But if it is being used to see who scores highest and then the fellowship spot goes to that person, then that seems pretty lame (I hope that is not the way those programs are conducting their tests...if so, maybe that is not the kind of program you would like to train at anyway?).

hello, I will apply to hemepath fellowship this year. I wonder if you will be asked to look at hemepath slides and make a diagnosis on each case, I know my colleagues who got GI fellowship was given slide test during fellowship interview. Any experienced people to answer this question?

Seems a little silly to me. 25 years ago you went into the fellowship you wanted to go into and it wasn't this apparent marathon it is today. And remember, these same people(from 25 years ago) are now the department heads and Deans of the various institutions who apparently do this s***.
And I think if you asked them over a beer they would tell you it's a crock.

sorry for replying late, been grossing and signing out, I am not against a slide test during fellowship interview since if you are really interested, you should have studied more on it. Just curious about the hemepath fellowship interview process. Anyone knows if they ask you lots of heme questions or just general interview questions?

sorry for replying late, been grossing and signing out, I am not against a slide test during fellowship interview since if you are really interested, you should have studied more on it. Just curious about the hemepath fellowship interview process. Anyone knows if they ask you lots of heme questions or just general interview questions?

You can expect general questions like asking you to compare and contrast the last 2 editions of William's hematology, Wintrobe' hematology and how Ioachim node text has evolved over the past 20 Years. And how would Dr. John Miale have looked upon the changes.

Just jerking your chain----RELAX. The fear and anxiety amongst the youngsters on these boards is palpable! That kind of fear has a stench of desperation to an interviewer.

People always get so stressed on these forums about the existence of "slide tests" as if it is something major. I suspect on some fellowship interviews some attendings will show you some slides. Often it is because they are interesting cases. Sometimes it is a weird case and they are interested in seeing how you think. Obviously you would not be expected to get "the right answer" since the main purpose of the fellowship is to help you arrive at the right answers.

If a place rejects you for a fellowship (which is unlikely to happen) because you got the wrong answer on a slide test, then you probably don't want to be there anyway.

I wasn't asked to look at any. You will, however, have to converse fluently in English about hemepath topics. Be prepared for anything.

:laugh:

Stressing about a slide test is just about the silliest thing one can do if one has an inability to converse about anything other that pathology terminology. Many FMGs have a great pathology vocabulary but don't do well with anything else. Heck, it's not just FMGs. US grads have problems with that too.