Looking back on the application process vs being in and graduating from dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aubreyjokes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow 2 years out of dental school living in the 'real world' as a general dentist with a chill, rewarding job I almost forgot about SDN!

So now that I've been through it let me share my brief experience and hopefully it will help someone who might be struggling to have a better perspective.

1st Application Cycle
Schools applied: 8
Interviews: 0
Accepted: 0

2nd Cycle

3rd Cycle/year did not apply - continued working at OS office, published a paper, volunteering, took more classes

4th Cycle
Schools applied: 7
Interviews: 2
Accepted: 1

DAT taken 3x scores ranging from QR:15 to PAT: 27, sciences in the 19-20 range. Second career student <3.0GPA with mostly A's in a post-bach/grad program I took one year of.

In dental school finished in top 20% in a class of 100, had an actual life outside of class (flipped two houses in fact), but maybe more importantly literally won multiple senior student awards for clinical work.

I've seen 20-25pts a day now for two years and not one has asked about my DAT scores or how many schools I interviewed at. 4 students in our matriculating class failed out that first year - all 4 I am certain had way better "stats" than me coming in.

Point is, hardly any of the things that seem so important an monumental right now in the throes of applying will actually ever matter. You have to work hard and play the stat game right now though of course. But especially for those of you who can't get on here and engage in the perpetual pissing match of comparing how many schools you got in to and your 24 OC score - hang in there.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 21 users
Great story, thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you are enjoying private practice and life is good.

*Doesn't matter the record if you get in, any qualifying team can win the Super Bowl if they make it to the playoffs.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow 2 years out of dental school living in the 'real world' as a general dentist with a chill, rewarding job I almost forgot about SDN!

So now that I've been through it let me share my brief experience and hopefully it will help someone who might be struggling to have a better perspective.

1st Application Cycle

2nd Cycle

3rd Cycle/year did not apply - continued working at OS office, published a paper, volunteering, took more classes

4th Cycle
Schools applied: 7
Interviews: 2
Accepted: 1

DAT taken 3x scores ranging from QR:15 to PAT: 27, sciences in the 19-20 range. Second career student grad program I took one year of.

In dental school finished in top 20% in a class of 100, had an actual life outside of class (flipped two houses in fact), but maybe more importantly literally won multiple senior student awards for clinical work.

I've seen 20-25pts a day now for two years and not one has asked about my DAT scores or how many schools I interviewed at. 4 students in our matriculating class failed out that first year - all 4 I am certain had way better "stats" than me coming in.

Point is, hardly any of the things that seem so important an monumental right now in the throes of applying will actually ever matter. You have to work hard and play the stat game right now though of course. But especially for those of you who can't get on here and engage in the perpetual pissing match of comparing how many schools you got in to and your 24 OC score - hang in there.

This makes me feel better, it’s hard seeing people who did way better on the DAT, but like you implied it doesn’t mean everything.

Reactions: 1 user