Looking back...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drPLUM

Got your tickets?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now its been a few days for the match to sink in and we've had some time to reflect on the process. Since we all remember when we were just on the brink of making a specialty decision and starting to think about the match process, let's talk about what we've learned. What did you wish you knew then that you know now? What did you stress out about too much during the process? What should you have taken more seriously?

I have some thoughts that I don't have time to post right now... maybe later tonight.

Members don't see this ad.

two years later - what I think everyone should realize is that you need to rank where you want to go the most. Don't worry about what other people tell you so much in regards to "Prestige" and all that garbage. You make your own prestige. I came close to going somewhere I didn't want to go just because people told me it was a great program, lucky I didn't.

Well my medicine sub-I is killing me and all but only a few more days to go!

As I thought more about this topic I realized that until I start residency I won't have a great idea of what to do differently. But, there are still some things that I can think of now.

1. I agree with Yaah. Do not rank programs in order to impress your friends on Match Day. Instead, rank them like you want them. Like we have discussed, there are maybe 50 "top" programs and you'll get good training at most of them. Find a place where you fit well- with the other residents, the location, the overall "atmosphere" (in the end, this is what sold me on Duke), etc.

2. Don't be afraid to take a few chances with interviews. If there is a good program out of your geographic range that offers you an interview, go. It won't hurt you and you might be surprised that it is good enough to convince you to move.

3. This is kind of related to #2 but... don't put stock in rumors (good or bad) about places, even its from "someone you trust" like your PD or faculty. You never know until you go see for yourself. There are lots of rumors on the interview trail that get perpetuated but are baseless (kinda like some random, incorrect fact that some medical student puts on an H&P that becomes part of the chart that gets regurgitated in every subsequent H&P because people go back and reference old charts never thinking to just ask the patient).

4. Don't ignore your gut feeling about a place.

5. Do not put off your medicine sub-I until March when all your classmates are at the beach or drinking to their match results while you are on call "knowing your patient"... not that I'm bitter or anything. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everything above. Also, don't believe anything you hear pre-ROL submission. Rank programs in order of preference, not based on "feedback" from program directors.

drPLUM said:
3. This is kind of related to #2 but... don't put stock in rumors (good or bad) about places, even its from "someone you trust" like your PD or faculty. You never know until you go see for yourself. There are lots of rumors on the interview trail that get perpetuated but are baseless ...

I totally agree with that!!! Its important to see the programs for yourself and if you are still not sure, do a second look visit or better yet, a month long rotation there!!! I heard conflicting things about doing away rotations...but I really do think they can help (they certainly did in my case :) )!!