-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Looking for a cool, useful gift
Started by vetstumom
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Does she have her own stethoscope? Or if you want to spend a lot of money, a laptop might be nice.
Stethoscope is exactly what I was going to suggest!
A laptop is also a wonderful idea.
A laptop is also a wonderful idea.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree that a stethoscope is a great gift, but I would also ask her if there's a model that she prefers....I know it may seem silly, but scope choices can sometimes be a little more personal, especially if she's used to using a certain kind.
A loaded gift card from Panera, Starbucks, or her other favorite coffee shop might also be a nice gift that will keep on giving. That way she won't feel guilty about getting a coffee or food to keep her awake and studying at her best.
I have to second a couple of the suggestions on here:
1. A stethoscope is great but check if she has a preference. They can actually be a very personal item for some people (definitely for me!).
2. Gift card(s) would be great too. A gift card to Starbucks or some other coffee joint is great. It's great to get a caffeine rush for free. 😉
Or Target/Wal-Mart is great for all of lifes necessities.
Or even a card for a grocery store particularly if perhaps there is a favorite health food chain she might frequent. The prices for a health food store can seem like a splurge so having someone else pay for it would make it less sinful.
Lastly, depending on where she is going some towns/cities have a gift card that can be used at numerous businesses throughout town. They are usually sold through chambers of commerce or visitors centers.
1. A stethoscope is great but check if she has a preference. They can actually be a very personal item for some people (definitely for me!).
2. Gift card(s) would be great too. A gift card to Starbucks or some other coffee joint is great. It's great to get a caffeine rush for free. 😉
Or Target/Wal-Mart is great for all of lifes necessities.
Or even a card for a grocery store particularly if perhaps there is a favorite health food chain she might frequent. The prices for a health food store can seem like a splurge so having someone else pay for it would make it less sinful.
Lastly, depending on where she is going some towns/cities have a gift card that can be used at numerous businesses throughout town. They are usually sold through chambers of commerce or visitors centers.
http://www.skullsunlimited.com/ has some pretty neat stuff.
http://www.skullsunlimited.com/ has some pretty neat stuff.
That is so cool. I'm now asking my parents for those as gifts for my birthday and christmas.
My suggestion for the greatest gift of all: tuition money. Just kidding, I really like the idea of the stethoscope and maybe a pet style name tag with her name on it or a charm of some sort to make it even more personal.
The visible horse http://www.einsteins-emporium.com/science/life_sciences/zoology/sz210.htm is a fun gift that can help for anatomy. There's also the visible dog and cow.
A Merck Manual, that should be a must for the gift list.
Last edited:
If she doesn't already have a Merck Veterinary Manual, that should be a must for the gift list.
it's like a veterinary bible.... I bought that book my freshman year of undergrad. I'm a dork.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had my old Merck manual made into a purse for a friend starting vet school in Australia (Murdoch--she's in her second year). She has an MBA in fashion merchandising, so I thought it was appropriate--here's the site: www.rebounddesigns.com 🙂
And I have to say the Littman Classic II is an EXCELLENT "starter" stethoscope (though they could be on the Classic III or whatever by now). I love love love my Littman Master Cardiology that I got from a surgeon for my 23rd birthday if you're willing to up the ante a bit.
That's great that you want to get her a cool gift--let us know what you decide on!! 🙂
And I have to say the Littman Classic II is an EXCELLENT "starter" stethoscope (though they could be on the Classic III or whatever by now). I love love love my Littman Master Cardiology that I got from a surgeon for my 23rd birthday if you're willing to up the ante a bit.
That's great that you want to get her a cool gift--let us know what you decide on!! 🙂
If she's a large animal person a palpating jacket might be a nice gift (they're jackets w/ zippers in the arm so you can take your arm out without taking off the jacket completely)... I know I'm asking for one for my birthday! I know people who absolutely love their jackets - it is definitely not fun having to remove your jacket in sub-zero temps when you find yourself in a situation requiring you to stick your arm up an arse 😱 ! If you go to pellavet.com they have nice ones there to choose from...
I just have to say- You guys are too wonderful! I have gotten tons of ideas for myself AND great ideas for other people in the family to get her also. Actually, I think I'm set on ideas to cover us through Christmas! I love it- don't hesitate to keep them coming!
And actually, if she *hasn't* used a stethoscope much (like if she hasn't got a job as a vet tech) then it might be better to hold off with the scope-as-gift until a year or more from now so she has more experience on which to base that preference. Beyond a few "here, listen to this" moments while shadowing and volunteering, my stethoscope experience is pretty much nil. While I wouldn't be ungrateful if somebody bought me one tomorrow, really I'd kind of like the chance to play the field a bit before committing to owning one stethoscope that I feel compelled to use because it's mine.I agree that a stethoscope is a great gift, but I would also ask her if there's a model that she prefers...
Also, nothing says "love" like a dissection kit. 😍 That was mostly a joke, but really, the school is going to have a whole list of required/recommended supplies and things that she'll need to get before classes start or during orientation week or whatever. It's definitely more "useful" than "cool", but you might be able to call the school and get that list in advance to actually buy her something or even just get a gift card to the school bookstore or wherever she's going to have to buy that stuff.
BTW, props to Mom for finding a vet student forum on which to ask for gift advice. You've got a lucky daughter!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 487
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 450
