University of Glasgow BVMS - Looking for advice/insight

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madison Shapiro

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm excited to share that I've recently received acceptance into the University of Glasgow's veterinary college. As an American student, I am reaching out to seek valuable insights from the current veterinary student community at Glasgow or those who have graduated recently.

I am particularly interested in hearing about experiences with the curriculum, and how the ongoing challenges related to Covid have impacted the school environment—both positively and negatively. Essentially, I'm eager to gain a comprehensive understanding of the school's current dynamics.

I have come across some information about how Covid might have previously impacted the curriculum, however, most of these comments were from around two years ago. In the spirit of staying current and well-informed, I would greatly appreciate any updated information or recent experiences you can share.

Your advice, experiences, or any comments you can share would be immensely appreciated. I'm open to any information you're willing to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m also interested in this as I was accepted as well. I’ve heard their recent navel passing % were pretty bad, which makes me nervous…

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m also interested in this as I was accepted as well. I’ve heard their recent navel passing % were pretty bad, which makes me nervous…
Where did you see or hear this? Also have an offer from Glasgow and want to learn more about the school. Planning a trip to visit soon from the US.

Where did you see or hear this? Also have an offer from Glasgow and want to learn more about the school. Planning a trip to visit soon from the US.
Hi! From their website University of Glasgow - Schools - School of Biodiversity, One Health & Veterinary Medicine - About Us - Accreditation this link it says it’s currently 62% which is low considering they need 80% to keep their accreditation. I’ve been told by students who go there that it’s because many students from the UK were in the past able to sign up and take the test but didn’t have any intention of studying in the US so it was kind of a hail mary so they didn’t pass. Not fully confirmed tho..

I'm a current student in the Clinical phase of the program. I'm going to remain neutral about my comments.
My Foundation phase was during the pandemic and was mostly online. We had ok support from the school throughout, but sometimes communication was not great from the school's end. The Foundation Phase students now are very happy with the practicals and in person stuff. The staff have made better progress on communication and better on giving timetables in advanced. (During the pandemic we were getting schedules less than the week before) which made having jobs and other tasks difficult to schedule. They still aren't great at letting us know when exams are and therefore make scheduling flights home difficult.

During Clinical Phase, in my opinion is much better content. Our exams are where we get the majority of the points. +/-60 question multiple choice in December, and in May/April end of year exam (+/- 60 MCQ, and 2 different short answer papers) this makes during the year much less stressful and better work/life balance than US schools. There are also 2 graded projects. In 2nd and 4th year there's in person practical exams and portfolio (8 assets). These aren't too bad. But you just have to listen to what they want for their grading schemes. If you do not pass a portion, you can resit the exam and if you don't pass again then you resit the year.

Regarding the NAVLE, I have only heard things down the grape vine therefore I do not feel comfortable spreading gossip. What I can tell you is that the AVMA will be visiting this month and that every time the AVMA visits, the school has to post it on their website. They had made a rule but have since postponed it until the AVMA is coming.

Feel free to DM me about day to day life. I can help as much as I can.

I'm a current student in the Clinical phase of the program. I'm going to remain neutral about my comments.
My Foundation phase was during the pandemic and was mostly online. We had ok support from the school throughout, but sometimes communication was not great from the school's end. The Foundation Phase students now are very happy with the practicals and in person stuff. The staff have made better progress on communication and better on giving timetables in advanced. (During the pandemic we were getting schedules less than the week before) which made having jobs and other tasks difficult to schedule. They still aren't great at letting us know when exams are and therefore make scheduling flights home difficult.

During Clinical Phase, in my opinion is much better content. Our exams are where we get the majority of the points. +/-60 question multiple choice in December, and in May/April end of year exam (+/- 60 MCQ, and 2 different short answer papers) this makes during the year much less stressful and better work/life balance than US schools. There are also 2 graded projects. In 2nd and 4th year there's in person practical exams and portfolio (8 assets). These aren't too bad. But you just have to listen to what they want for their grading schemes. If you do not pass a portion, you can resit the exam and if you don't pass again then you resit the year.

Regarding the NAVLE, I have only heard things down the grape vine therefore I do not feel comfortable spreading gossip. What I can tell you is that the AVMA will be visiting this month and that every time the AVMA visits, the school has to post it on their website. They had made a rule but have since postponed it until the AVMA is coming.

Hi! I am currently waitlisted at Glasgow, and there is not much out there about my odds of getting off the hold. Do you know of anyone in your class or above / below that made it off the list? I am trying to figure out my chances :,)

Hi! I am currently waitlisted at Glasgow, and there is not much out there about my odds of getting off the hold. Do you know of anyone in your class or above / below that made it off the list? I am trying to figure out my chances :,)
I'm sorry, but I hadn't talked to anyone about that. I'd email the contact they gave you and see where they're at or when you will get a final decision for planning purposes.
Otherwise if you have time to wait, then just collect vet hours and start the reapplication process. So you're prepared either way.

How do you feel about the program being 5 years instead of 4??

How do you feel about the program being 5 years instead of 4??
Pros and cons.
Pros - more time with the material, more time for externships (therefore more time to seek out future employers), more down time and relaxing time. Personally probably more a pro because I've had a history of mental health and have been able to resolve for the most part. I would vouche for it.
Cons - an extra year of COL (could be a pro depending on where the 4-year institution is) but tuition would be about the same. If you're international another year of homesickness if you left a spouse in the US. More cost for flights home so a couple thousand more if you go home for every break.
Just remember. I've only had a 5 year program. I have not lived through a 4 year program. So can't fully say if one is better than the other.

Also keep in mind the vast majority of accredited schools have seen a drop in their NAVLE scores from. Lass of 2021 till now. The overall average drop seems to be in the range of 8-10% across all schools.

Honestly, I don't think the school you go to impacts your NAVLE score much, if at all. Prior to the pandemic, 95%+ of students across the US schools passed by the time they graduated. If there was truly a difference, you would see a starker difference between schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Also keep in mind the vast majority of accredited schools have seen a drop in their NAVLE scores from. Lass of 2021 till now. The overall average drop seems to be in the range of 8-10% across all schools.

Honestly, I don't think the school you go to impacts your NAVLE score much, if at all. Prior to the pandemic, 95%+ of students across the US schools passed by the time they graduated. If there was truly a difference, you would see a starker difference between schools.
Yea I totally agree! My worry more comes from if they were to lose their accreditation bc overall NAVLE scores impact that

Yea I totally agree! My worry more comes from if they were to lose their accreditation bc overall NAVLE scores impact that
Any student who is actively a student with a program that loses accreditation will still graduate from the school as a bona fide vet. The school gets 2-3 years to fix deficits, and then can no longer accept students. So even if you attend, the AVMA makes sure you're covered

Reactions: 1 user