Looking for a good Ortho pocket text.

Started by Flaxmoore
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Flaxmoore

StealthDoc
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been using Tarascon Orthopaedica, but I can't help but think I'm missing something. I'm a GP working in a clinic specializing in ortho injury after MVA, and while I've darn near memorized Tarascon, is there anything else I should use? Any good pocket texts for more information and a smoother exam?
 
I've been using Tarascon Orthopaedica, but I can't help but think I'm missing something. I'm a GP working in a clinic specializing in ortho injury after MVA, and while I've darn near memorized Tarascon, is there anything else I should use? Any good pocket texts for more information and a smoother exam?
Orthobullets should be your go-to for general basic ortho knowledge. If you want to improve your physical exam, and this is something you do daily and thus are willing to drop a little $$, hoppenfeld's physical exam is the classic MSK physical exam text. If you need information more about trauma/fractures, Handbook of Fractures is a reasonable companion (though maybe more than a GP needs).
 
I was just thinking ....

Do students and residents still carry around pocket texts? We all have smartphones now, and I'm sure we're all well acquainted with Wheeless and othobullets, and I'm sure you could get Netters or Kovals fracture handbook as an ebook.

Carrying those things around in my white coat always was irritating die to the extra bulk. Is there a point anymore in 2017?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Orthobullets should be your go-to for general basic ortho knowledge. If you want to improve your physical exam, and this is something you do daily and thus are willing to drop a little $$, hoppenfeld's physical exam is the classic MSK physical exam text. If you need information more about trauma/fractures, Handbook of Fractures is a reasonable companion (though maybe more than a GP needs).

I got a copy of Hoppenfeld as a resident, love the thing. I'll look at Orthobullets and the Handbook of Fractures; it's an auto-accident heavy clinic, and I've seen some bizarre fractures and dislocations.

I was just thinking ....

Do students and residents still carry around pocket texts? We all have smartphones now, and I'm sure we're all well acquainted with Wheeless and othobullets, and I'm sure you could get Netters or Kovals fracture handbook as an ebook.

Carrying those things around in my white coat always was irritating die to the extra bulk. Is there a point anymore in 2017?

I certainly do. ICU, I always had Marino. Surg, Mont Reid. Peds, Harriet Lane. Now, Tarascon Pharmacopeia and Orthopedica. I just like having something I can cram a bit more information on while I'm killing some time. Being an attending doesn't make me perfect, sadly.