Looking for a little advice... not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mediclite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping some people here could provide me with some advice or perhaps act as a sounding board. Let me give you a little intro to myself and situation, any and all advice is welcome.

I am 28 years old and am currently finishing Paramedic school. My rotations will be complete soon with an August graduation date. I have flip-flopped for some time on whether or not I wanted to go to medical school after choosing medicine as a career. I am unsure whether to do this or nursing. I love emergency medicine and it is the primary reason I have chosen to be a paramedic.

I know that the D.O route is possibly an easier one than M.D. I currently have a 3.1 GPA overall and a 4.0 in the Paramedic program. I would graduate with an advanced emergency medicine AAS and transfer to my local university (ASU) to complete a biology BS. I have failed three classes (math, chemistry and advanced A&P) because I had to drop them halfway through to begin the paramedic program (its full time) I am unsure whether or not I would be competitive and if I even have the drive. No matter what I want to be in medicine and in the ER. Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Few thoughts on the grades...What is your overall GPA for science? If all three were dropped can they be replaced by an Incomplete and then retaken?

It's been a few years since I have filled out the osteopathic and allopathic applications, but i think that one of them will just take the last grade and the allo averages. The information on grade calculation is on both of their websites.

Having the Paramedic experiences will certainly help.

If this is what you want to do, you will find a way to do it. So don't give up on your dreams.
Marcia

Hello,
Few thoughts on the grades...What is your overall GPA for science? If all three were dropped can they be replaced by an Incomplete and then retaken?

It's been a few years since I have filled out the osteopathic and allopathic applications, but i think that one of them will just take the last grade and the allo averages. The information on grade calculation is on both of their websites.

Having the Paramedic experiences will certainly help.

If this is what you want to do, you will find a way to do it. So don't give up on your dreams.
Marcia

Yep, if you are willing to go the DO route, they have a grade replacement policy. You can retake those courses you failed and it'll be like it never happened. A 3.1 GPA isn't that bad. Retake the courses you failed, do well in your remaining courses and the MCAT. Sounds like you have some good med related EC's and adcoms like to see that. It shows that you know what you're getting into. It sounds like you could be very competitive for DO and depending on your future coursework and MCAT, MD isn't out of the question.

Last edited: