Looking for a little feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjm6289

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just going to run through this quickly and see what you all think I need on my MCAT/chances of getting in. I got a 29Q first time, got interviewed but didnt end up getting in.

I have a 3.69 cGPA with an upward trend (3.40 freshman yr) and a 3.56 sGPA. I am doing a ton of studying for MCAT and think I can pull it into 30s.

Since I graduated college, I have become a licensed EMT and I intern in a PERFUSE/Core lab underneath one of the top doctors in the country (according to US News) who will be writing me a letter. I also have a top ranked Electrophysiologist writing for me, among other people

I also have founded a chapter of a non profit organization dedicated to teaching people and schools CPR and donating AEDs to public places. That easily takes up 20 to 30 hours per week running and organizing fundraisers, classes, AEDs, meeting with AED reps, etc. It is part of a national foundation. Should I have the president of this foundation write me a letter to? We have grown as an organization greatly in the last few months and we have just donated AEDs to 3 different places in my area. I am also becoming a certified CPR instructor.

I am going to apply at the very beginning of the cycle and hopefully it works out this time. Any feedback?

Members don't see this ad.

I am just going to run through this quickly and see what you all think I need on my MCAT/chances of getting in. I got a 29Q first time, got interviewed but didnt end up getting in.

I have a 3.69 cGPA with an upward trend (3.40 freshman yr) and a 3.56 sGPA. I am doing a ton of studying for MCAT and think I can pull it into 30s.

Since I graduated college, I have become a licensed EMT and I intern in a PERFUSE/Core lab underneath one of the top doctors in the country (according to US News) who will be writing me a letter. I also have a top ranked Electrophysiologist writing for me, among other people

I also have founded a chapter of a non profit organization dedicated to teaching people and schools CPR and donating AEDs to public places. That easily takes up 20 to 30 hours per week running and organizing fundraisers, classes, AEDs, meeting with AED reps, etc. It is part of a national foundation. Should I have the president of this foundation write me a letter to? We have grown as an organization greatly in the last few months and we have just donated AEDs to 3 different places in my area. I am also becoming a certified CPR instructor.

I am going to apply at the very beginning of the cycle and hopefully it works out this time. Any feedback?
What is your home state?
What clinical experience (direct patient interaction) do you have besides EMT, and how many hours?
Any physician shadowing?
Any research?
How many schools did you apply to, and how many interviews resulted? Did you apply after August 1?
Do you have the usual academic LORs, too, like 2 science faculty and one nonscience, from those who have taught you? Yes, I would include an LOR from the Prez of your organization.

My home state is MA, I have done 100+ hours of shadowing (oncologist, cardiologist, oral surgeon, dermatologist, etc) I have also volunteered in 2 different hospitals over 2 different summers (close to 80-100 hours each summer). I am doing the research now in the Core lab. I applied to 12 schools and got 1 interview and yes I applied well after August 1 unfortunately (like October). Yes my school has a committee letter that includes two doctors, 2 sci teachers and 1 other prof

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like the main weaknesses in your application were 1) lateness of becoming Complete at each school (probably the biggest problem), 2) lower BCPM (average for acceptees is 3.61), 3) lower MCAT score (average is 31.1 for acceptees), and 4) ?no research (73% list this) and a lack of teaching. Your ECs will have improved with the addition of research, more clinical experience, a stronger nonprofit organization that grew, becoming a CPR instructor (just getting certified won't help you), and hopefully a higher MCAT score. Personally, I would also like to see a primary care physician on your shadowing list, even if for only 4 hours.

It sounds like the main weaknesses in your application were 1) lateness of becoming Complete at each school (probably the biggest problem), 2) lower BCPM (average for acceptees is 3.61), 3) lower MCAT score (average is 31.1 for acceptees), and 4) ?no research (73% list this) and a lack of teaching. Your ECs will have improved with the addition of research, more clinical experience, a stronger nonprofit organization that grew, becoming a CPR instructor (just getting certified won't help you), and hopefully a higher MCAT score. Personally, I would also like to see a primary care physician on your shadowing list, even if for only 4 hours.

According to a recent adivisng I had post rejection, 150-200 hours of shadowing...or 4 hrs/week for 6-12 months...is viewed as minimum.