Looking for a PGY-2 spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casper1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am contemplating looking for a pgy2 spot either in the Northeast or California. I wanted some advice on how to go about doing it and how/when to tell my program director.

Members don't see this ad.

Northeast or CA...hmm. I know University of Washington (state) has TWO PGY-II openings.

Check out FREIDA/AMA online. They have the official number of positions for which each program is accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I am contemplating looking for a pgy2 spot either in the Northeast or California. I wanted some advice on how to go about doing it and how/when to tell my program director.
Find out your program's deadline for when you have to have told them you are leaving. Sometimes, asking that question is a good way to break the ice about the subject. For most PDs, it's no surprise when someone wants to change specialties.

By the way, I was adviced on this forum to tell my PD as soon as I was sure, and that advice turned out to be very helpful.

You should start contacting programs soon. I know that some spots are already filled and lots of programs fill up as soon as they can. Stanford and UW have PGY2 spots built into their programs. So does UNM. But residents move around and spots can be randomly open in other programs, but probably not for long. Contact the program directors at the programs you're interested in and see if they happen to have a surprise opening.

As for talking to your program director, sooner is probably better than later. They will need to fill your spot. They will also need to write you a letter, so best not to get them mad at you. I am changing to psych next year (also West Coast) and my program was VERY supportive. You can PM me for more specific info.

Oh, you said Northeast. Not sure about out there.

USC in LA has 2 extra pgy-2 spots i believe.

UCSF Fresno usually has a spot or two.... good luck!

San Mateo County Mental Health Services has 1 Pgy-2 spot available. Please contact the program coordinator for more information.

Thanks everyone for the good advice....I am actually in a psych residency right now and wanted to switch into another one. Nothing wrong with my program, the city I live in and the area just doesn't feel comfortable. Family and friends are not really close by. I also want to eventually practice in the area I finish my residency in. Any additional advice/support would be great.

I was in the same situation & exhausted much energy, time, & money seeking a spot closer to home. In fact, I interviewed at 2 places close to my home but they did not work out. In a way I am glad that things didn't work out because I would have had a miserable time at the new programs for many reasons, although I would have been in my hometown, close to my family again.
My program is also great & I have no issues with it. I decided to stay here & finish my residency since I am familiar with the "ins & outs" and have a great relationship with my colleagues & PD. Sure, I miss home, & my wife wants to go back also, but we realized that there was a reason why we had to relocate. Find your reason, and remember that the grass is not always greener on the other side and you may have extra yard work there too. This is a temporary "sentence" & it will pass quickly. I have stopped looking to transfer not only for the above reasons but also the anxiety of the interviews and going through them again was very dreadful. Good luck at whatever you decide.