Looking for a Way to Possibly Pay off My Loans

Started by DRJMIZZLE
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DRJMIZZLE

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so I want to attend AUA Carribean medical School, and if I can get in I must take out lots of loans since the military wont use their scholarship to pay for a Carribean Medical School. My question to you is after I graduate from school and residency in a ton of debt, as well as get all my necessary licensure and pass my boards, is there anyway that I could join the Air Force as a military physician and they pay off my loans for me if I serve in the military for a certain number of years? Thanks!
 
Okay, so I want to attend AUA Carribean medical School, and if I can get in I must take out lots of loans since the military wont use their scholarship to pay for a Carribean Medical School. My question to you is after I graduate from school and residency in a ton of debt, as well as get all my necessary licensure and pass my boards, is there anyway that I could join the Air Force as a military physician and they pay off my loans for me if I serve in the military for a certain number of years? Thanks!

There are programs for people who have been accepted to a residency, or have completed a residency in a field that service desires. Some pay you extra money while in residency in exchange for certain number of years in the service. There are also loan repayment programs. There is nothing on the website which tells me what the limitations are. I understand they wouldn't want to offer scholarship money for a school outside the US, but I am not sure why there would be an issue accepting a carribean grad into a program after they obtain a residency position. Plus, aren't the loans you obtain for those schools federal loans. Not sure why they would exclude those loans from repayment programs offered after obtaining or finishing residency. A recruiter may be able to help you understand the rules for the various programs (but remember, everything they say is because they want to sign you up). But you there would be no guarantee for anything since you don't even know if you will obtain a residency position and in what specialty it would be.