Looking for a well rounded program in city with no traffic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dixiechicken

PGY-3
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out Scott and White hospital in Temple, Tx.
www.sw.org

All Scott and White doctors expect to teach residents. We have a good balance of staff with generalists, 2 REIs, 2 oncs, 1 mfm, and 3 urogyns (Dr Shull is world renound). We have our own Research division headed up by a PhD embroyologist. He has full time staff who help with your research projects. An excellent opportunity! See the website for recent projects.

This is a big hospital in a small town. We serve 22+ central Tx counties. Residents have their own OB clinic with medicaid and tricare patients, but have ample experierience with staff patients as well. The housing prices are dirt cheap (120k or less for a new 3br home)

We just built a new clinical simulation center in partnership with Temple College where the interns go for protected time to learn surgical skills and run emergency codes on realistic mechanical patients. Next year our brand new hospital with a new L&D will be open. WE PAY FOR YOUR HOTEL ROOM when you interview, so I encourage everyone to apply.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Jason, PGY1

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for the residency, but I can state Scott and White is a very nice facility and all of the people I met when I interviewed there (granted for a respiratory therapist position) were great- from the docs to the nurses to everyone else. I wish I had taken the job when it was offered to me quite frankly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an MSIII and I'm kinda thinking OB/GYN might be it for me....and I want to stay in Texas for residency. DixieChicken, how competitive is the S&W program? There's only 4 spots per year, right? I'm a student at BCM with decent grades, haven't taken step 1 yet, so I still have a shot at doing well on it too....think I have shot at the S&W program?

My hubby is a PhD student at Baylor U in Waco, and if I were to match to something in Temple, he could stay on for a postdoc there (in waco), so things could work out quite nicely...

Every year is different. I think it is competitive, but it just depends who applies. Good grades will get your foot in the door, an away rotation can help you also.

Try hard, but keep your mind open, you haven't been through all clinical rotations yet.

jb :thumbup:

dixiechicken said:
Every year is different. I think it is competitive, but it just depends who applies. Good grades will get your foot in the door, an away rotation can help you also.

Try hard, but keep your mind open, you haven't been through all clinical rotations yet.

jb :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I'm keeping an open mind....OB/GYN is definitely high up on the list, though. As far as my rotations, I've done OB/GYN, Peds, Neuro, and I'm on Surgery right now (and loving it!). Internal Medicine is next, but I really don't foresee falling in love with it.