Looking for advice on future canadian application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shouldatriedharder123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Im a canadian undergrad student looking for some advice for my application. Im sure I just couldnt find a thread of someone who asked this before so im sorry about that.

I am in my junior year at a canadian university. For my first 2 years, i was not really sure what i wanted to do so I took a very lax approach to school (stupid i know). By year, my gpa would go as 3.0 and 3.3, with a cgpa of 3.3 (this is because our school uses a 10 point grading system, and the conversion is really weird for OMSAS). During my first semester of third year, my cousin passed away right at the end of summer (about a week before the school year started), and this was the first loss in the family and studying was pretty much second to everything else. I got more and more interested in med at the end of the semester, and decided this was where I wanted to apply. obviously with these grades, it was not really feasible, so I am looking for advice as to what i can/should do.

As for that last semester i talked about, because of the shift at home with the passing, my gpa tanked. that semester by itself was a 2.0. So far this semester is a 4.0. I think I can finish this semester really well now that i am motivated, and am on track to finish with a 3.3 cgpa for all 3 years (this semester I will get 3 A+ and one A, the final course is hovering A or A+ depending on one exam). I can increase this by retaking one of the courses from last semester next year where i got a bad grade (it was a d, i can manage an a- or a if i put in the work). Assuming i get a 4.0 next year, my gpa comes to 3.7 without the retaking of the D. I am looking for application advice and advice on next steps for the next two or so years. I plan on writing the MCAT after studying this summer.

EC's in case they are important for my application, I have not done much but can get a volunteer position at the hospital this summer due to a family friend, and I currently have around 700 hours as a pharmacy assistant, that will no longer increase as i left work to focus on school.

For the record, my family is helping pay for tuition, so American schools are not an issue for me. I can apply to american schools as well as canadian ones, so any help would be appreciated since i am just breaking down my options right now.

Any advice or help you guys can give me?

Members don't see this ad.

you are going to need to do a 5th year, and a LOT more extra-curriculars/work unless you get around a 129-130CARS, realistically