Looking for advice on future canadian application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shouldatriedharder123

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

Im a canadian undergrad student looking for some advice for my application. Im sure I just couldnt find a thread of someone who asked this before so im sorry about that.

I am in my junior year at a canadian university. For my first 2 years, i was not really sure what i wanted to do so I took a very lax approach to school (stupid i know). By year, my gpa would go as 3.0 and 3.3, with a cgpa of 3.3 (this is because our school uses a 10 point grading system, and the conversion is really weird for OMSAS). During my first semester of third year, my cousin passed away right at the end of summer (about a week before the school year started), and this was the first loss in the family and studying was pretty much second to everything else. I got more and more interested in med at the end of the semester, and decided this was where I wanted to apply. obviously with these grades, it was not really feasible, so I am looking for advice as to what i can/should do.

As for that last semester i talked about, because of the shift at home with the passing, my gpa tanked. that semester by itself was a 2.0. So far this semester is a 4.0. I think I can finish this semester really well now that i am motivated, and am on track to finish with a 3.3 cgpa for all 3 years (this semester I will get 3 A+ and one A, the final course is hovering A or A+ depending on one exam). I can increase this by retaking one of the courses from last semester next year where i got a bad grade (it was a d, i can manage an a- or a if i put in the work). Assuming i get a 4.0 next year, my gpa comes to 3.7 without the retaking of the D. I am looking for application advice and advice on next steps for the next two or so years. I plan on writing the MCAT after studying this summer.

EC's in case they are important for my application, I have not done much but can get a volunteer position at the hospital this summer due to a family friend, and I currently have around 700 hours as a pharmacy assistant, that will no longer increase as i left work to focus on school.

For the record, my family is helping pay for tuition, so American schools are not an issue for me. I can apply to american schools as well as canadian ones, so any help would be appreciated since i am just breaking down my options right now.

Any advice or help you guys can give me?
 
you are going to need to do a 5th year, and a LOT more extra-curriculars/work unless you get around a 129-130CARS, realistically