Looking for advice on improving my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am a senior graduating in May. I got a 29 on my MCAT and I have a 3.6 GPA; I've applied to 6 allopathic med schools and haven't gotten any interviews yet but I am still being considered at 2 schools. If I don't get accepted this year, I figure I have 3 options.

Retake the MCAT, get a masters degree and reapply, work as a CNA or EMT and reapply, or a combination of those. Any advice on the best way to improve my chances would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply on June 1st to MANY more schools than you did. I say apply to at least 20 schools, and make sure you're not too far off from their average stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state of residence? Its EXTREMELY important for people with borderline stats. I had nearly identical stats to you (from what you have posted) and had a successful season.

I wouldn't say you need to go get your masters degree. I'd retake the MCAT, apply to more schools, make sure you have all the needed volunteering/shadowing/research appropriate, and get a job, any job, though some feel it looks better if it is in a medical or science field.

Of those options, I would retake the MCAT and work. I think your GPA is good enough that a master's degree is unnecessary. I would also apply to more schools, maybe at least 10? 15 if money isn't an issue? 20 if you're feeling really bold. And apply to schools that match your stats. And as another has said, make sure the rest of your application is good as well - volunteer, shadowing, etc.

Maybe you could even try calling a school or two and see what they think you could do to improve?

Retake and aim for higher.
Apply early.
DO NOT do a master's unless you really feel the need to do so. You don't want to rack up more debt that you need to.