Looking for Advice on Path to MD

Started by JD to MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JD to MD

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a 27 year old international tax consultant/lawyer. I don’t have children or a husband, just my dog and a mortgage.
I initially went to school as pre-PT and loved my science classes. I ended up being good at business law and did law school instead. I loved law school but always knew I wouldn’t be happy actually being a lawyer. My specialty is international tax, so not applicable to medicine at all. I always planned to go back and do a PT or MD program maybe in 15 years, but I find the urge to leave much stronger earlier than I anticipated, after being around friends who are in their residency program and wishing more often I was on a different career path. I spend my free time learning more about nutrition science, cancer research, and sports therapy, than I do updating myself on my specialty in law.

I have no idea what path I would take to totally re-train myself to either become a PT or become a doctor and looking for any input on requirements to achieve either of these goals, financial suggestions, first steps, etc.
 
Don’t wait 15 years. This is a stupid long road. If you’re going to do it do it now or put it out if your head forever. You really need to start Med school by your early 30s at the latest to make it worth it.
 
Don’t wait 15 years. This is a stupid long road. If you’re going to do it do it now or put it out if your head forever. You really need to start Med school by your early 30s at the latest to make it worth it.
Haha, yes. Agreed. It’s now been 2 years and I’m ready to start the road to switching.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a 27 year old international tax consultant/lawyer. I don’t have children or a husband, just my dog and a mortgage.
I initially went to school as pre-PT and loved my science classes. I ended up being good at business law and did law school instead. I loved law school but always knew I wouldn’t be happy actually being a lawyer. My specialty is international tax, so not applicable to medicine at all. I always planned to go back and do a PT or MD program maybe in 15 years, but I find the urge to leave much stronger earlier than I anticipated, after being around friends who are in their residency program and wishing more often I was on a different career path. I spend my free time learning more about nutrition science, cancer research, and sports therapy, than I do updating myself on my specialty in law.

I have no idea what path I would take to totally re-train myself to either become a PT or become a doctor and looking for any input on requirements to achieve either of these goals, financial suggestions, first steps, etc.
Read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig

ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624
 
Spend time working in a clinic, shadowing a physician and/or PT. Liking science and disliking your current career are not qualifiers for undertaking the health care professional route. You should experience what it is like to be a care provider (ie, 100+ hrs at least) and then be able to look into a mirror with a straight face and say "this is going to be hard but there is nothing else I can see myself doing." At that point, you will have qualified yourself to undertake the process. From there on out, it's just a matter of hard work, avoiding landmines, more hard work, bouts of self-doubt, plus a little extra hard work and lots of missed opportunities.

Then, at the end of a journey where over half the travelers fail to gain a single acceptance, you will hopefully have been accepted to medical school, which is where the temperature gets turned up. If you survive to get a residency, you will have reached the point that the actual misery begins.

I can't speak to PT school, though I imagine it is an only slightly diluted version of the same poison tonic. The point is, if you don't feel compelled to serve as a health care professional, you should find something else that fulfills your love of science and the lack of fulfillment from your current career.