Looking for advice: take my chances or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Domino2178

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Being a URM, you're in a better position than you think. Try one application cycle. Maybe UCSF and Stanford will sneer at you, but I think you'll get some decent interviews.

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble deciding on whether or not my stats warrant applying for an SMP program, so I'm looking for help!

Stats:
cGPA 3.37 | sGPA 3.38 (fluctuating trend...)
MCAT 27O (scheduled retake in June)
URM (Hispanic) | CA resident
B.S. Bioengineering
Great EC's
Decent LORs (as in my non-academic letters are great, but those from professors are not.)

I know I need to up my MCAT. But I don't know if going the SMP route will be worth the money for how much it strengthens my application... Would I be better off trying to take a couple non-degree seeking courses this summer and/or next fall while in the middle of the application cycle?

I have a lot of credits from undergrad (160+) so my cGPA won't change much, but my sGPA has potential (according to my calculations, if I got an A in every class, each A would increase my sGPA by .03 points; 4 A classes would put me at ~3.47).

Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble deciding on whether or not my stats warrant applying for an SMP program, so I'm looking for help!

Stats:
cGPA 3.37 | sGPA 3.38 (fluctuating trend...)
MCAT 27O (scheduled retake in June)
URM (Hispanic) | CA resident
B.S. Bioengineering
Great EC's
Decent LORs (as in my non-academic letters are great, but those from professors are not.)

I know I need to up my MCAT. But I don't know if going the SMP route will be worth the money for how much it strengthens my application... Would I be better off trying to take a couple non-degree seeking courses this summer and/or next fall while in the middle of the application cycle?

I have a lot of credits from undergrad (160+) so my cGPA won't change much, but my sGPA has potential (according to my calculations, if I got an A in every class, each A would increase my sGPA by .03 points; 4 A classes would put me at ~3.47).

Thank you in advance!!

All other factors equal, you have about a 51.7% chance of getting an acceptance to medical school with your current stats.

Source:
https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf

If you really do have "great ECs" then that chance should be higher. On the on the hand, if your letters and ECs aren't as strong, your chance could be significantly lower. I would say that SMP is a good idea if your application, minus the numbers, is below average or average - but that it isn't necessary if it is above average. You could justify either decision, but I would lean towards not doing a SMP.