Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Likestorun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 28 and I've been out of school for a few years now. I have a bachelor's in liberal arts. Film and media studies (gpa was 3.84 at community college 3.25 at university pretty sure I had A's in all my science classes). I took a lot of classes at community college because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do so I have already met a lot of the pre reqs for pharmacy school. I'm currently working full time in a grocery store and am really interested in going to pharmacy school but I want to be able to work and go to school is that possible? Am I too old to put this massive financial burden on myself? I currently have $25k in student loan debt which isn't terrible. I've always been very good at retaining specific facts and I'm an amazing test taker my gpa would probably be higher if I hadn't started working full time in college, that kind of killed me I got 2 C's (non science classes) and I'd never gotten a C before that. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else who wasn't a science major got into pharmacy school? And I'm not financially well-off and never have been so the thought of taking out $100k in loans scares me since I only make $40k a year currently. I always wanted to be a lawyer or pharmacist but I figured I was too poor to afford the schooling and now I'm wishing I had just done it years ago instead of letting the debt hold me back.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going to do it, do it now. Don't wait for later. Years don't go by in vain.

If debt scared you back then, then it will scare you even more if you start now. Tuition has only gone up since. The job market for both law and pharmacy has dried up and is getting worse for pharmacy as more schools graduate their first class each year, leaving you with fewer options and lower salaries for you to pay your debt.

There are other fields such as computer programming, finance, engineering, trades, etc. that pay well, allow you to finish much sooner, and do not require you to graduate with an astronomical amount of debt. A coding bootcamp costs roughly $10k and takes about 12 weeks to complete. Even an additional degree in computer science will take much less time and cost far less compared to pharmacy.

That was my other thought, computer programming, perhaps I will just try out a few classes at community college and see how it goes after reading through this forum I'm afraid I'll get stuck with $150k in debt and have trouble finding work. I was looking at physicians assistant or optometry as well, there's a school near me that offers several medical programs (pharmacy, pa, optometry, dentistry, etc.) so I was researching and wondering what I should go back for. I just don't want to make $40k (before taxes ugh) for the rest of my life and I'm not interested in moving up further in retail and becoming a slave.