Looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radon XP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to college this fall and I'd like some advice regarding a few questions. I am 99% certain that I want to do something health-related; I've looked at dentistry and medicine and I want to pursue pre-health while making up my mind in college.

I live in Texas, so I would be in a good position since there are relatively many medical schools and dental schools (three compared to 0 or 1 in many states).

Prestige of under-graduate institution and professional school is hardly important to me. That is to say, it'd be nice, but since I plan on practicing rather than academics, I don't care that much.

------------

Okay, here's the deal. I'm applying to UT Austin, Texas A&M, and Emory under Early Decision (possibly more, but that is my core: one high rank, one match, one safety). If I get accepted into Emory, then great. Otherwise, I would be happy at UT Austin or A&M, but here's the thing: do they have adequate prep for professional school? Are they respected?

I plan on living in Texas after school anyway, if that matters.

With UT, I will almost certainly get in. But the financial aid won't be great, and I will probably graduate with some debt. However, I would prefer it over A&M, all other things being equal.

With A&M, I will likely have a full ride for NMF and other merit scholarships. However, I don't know if A&M is good enough for getting into medical/dental school.

Help is much appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

A&M is a good school.

The schools you mention have all been around for a while so they have the resources to prep for a medical career. This said, it is YOUR burden to study, to prep yourself. No matter how good the school is, it depends on how well you study if you want to go into medicine.

If you do get a full ride scholarship, I am assuming you have good grades, and thus should not really worry about what school you get into. Go to the school that you think you will like the most! just my 0.02$