Looking for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted508066

I have a couple questions, and any input would mean a lot.

I'm going to a really small four year college, and the fall semester of my junior year is just about winding down.

My freshman year, I was undecided, but doing reasonably well, and my GPA was around a 3.5. Then the summer going into my sophmore year, I went through some personal troubles, and it killed my GPA. I think my cGPA was around a 3.0, and I never even bothered looking up my science GPA. Unfortunately, that year I took general chem, and I got C's in the lecture and B-'s in the lab. The only good thing about that year is coming out of it I knew I really wanted to be a doctor.

The bad news is I'm practically just starting to prepare for this a junior in college, and I could use some serious advice. I'm afraid I'm going to have to seriously rely on an upward trend and MCAT scores.
This is my situation:

-I'm taking physics my entire Junior year, and Organic and Biochem my senior year.
-MCAT some time in 2014; preferably late Spring
-I've started volunteering at a hospital this fall
-I plan on getting a Spanish minor
-In the Spring I'll be doing a foreign study trip in Guatemala
-After Thanksgiving finishes up this week, I'm going to start calling doctor offices and asking about job shadowing
-I plan on taking an internship soon
-I can try to do research, but no guarantees if I can get picked for it.
-In the summer I hope to get a certification either CNA or EMT-B
-I don't have a preference between MD or DO
-Post bac work is also an option if it will help with my GPA situation
-For school EC's I plan on joining band, and I'm a member of science club (it's a really small college, there's not a lot activity-wise going on).

Does this look like a good plan or is there anything I can add to it to make me a stronger canidate?

And since my GPA is so low, would it be better to just drop my Spanish minor and pick up more science classes? My foreign study trip is set in stone and doesn't count toward my minor so that's not changing. I want to be fluent in Spanish and work in a low-income area, but of course, none of that will happen if I don't have the grades to get into med school.

Thank you for you help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to a really small four year college, and the fall semester of my junior year is just about winding down.

My freshman year, I was undecided, but doing reasonably well, and my GPA was around a 3.5. Then the summer going into my sophmore year, I went through some personal troubles, and it killed my GPA. I think my cGPA was around a 3.0, and I never even bothered looking up my science GPA. Unfortunately, that year I took general chem, and I got C's in the lecture and B-'s in the lab. The only good thing about that year is coming out of it I knew I really wanted to be a doctor.

The bad news is I'm practically just starting to prepare for this a junior in college, and I could use some serious advice. I'm afraid I'm going to have to seriously rely on an upward trend and MCAT scores.
This is my situation:

-I'm taking physics my entire Junior year, and Organic and Biochem my senior year.
-After Thanksgiving finishes up this week, I'm going to start calling doctor offices and asking about job shadowing
-For school EC's I plan on joining band, and I'm a member of science club (it's a really small college, there's not a lot activity-wise going on).

Does this look like a good plan or is there anything I can add to it to make me a stronger canidate?

And since my GPA is so low, would it be better to just drop my Spanish minor and pick up more science classes? My foreign study trip is set in stone and doesn't count toward my minor so that's not changing. I want to be fluent in Spanish and work in a low-income area, but of course, none of that will happen if I don't have the grades to get into med school.

Thank you for you help!

Sound's like a great plan to me ;) It seems like your getting it together, as long as you aren't taking on too much that your gpa will suffer. Punch in your numbers to one of those gpa calculators and see how many more classes you need to take and get A's or A-'s in to bring your gpa up. If it's a lot more classes you need then do a post bacc. If it's not too many more that you need, then you may be able to ditch the post bacc by just working your butt of the next few years.

As for the spanish thing.. you don't have to minor to become fluent, you could always study it on your own. I've been told by advisors that medical school's don't place much weight on minors. I think your gpa should be #1 priority atm but if you are able to raise it to a 3.6+ and minor in spanish then I say go for it.

Looks like a decent plan to me.

This is my situation:

Thank you for you help!