TXtaco25

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey guys, I am trying to figure out what I should do to improve my chances of getting into medical school.

some background:

I am a Hispanic Texas resident who would definitely like to go to a Texas medical school, but am not opposed to going out of state.

I have been accepted into the Tufts and Boston University smp's, as well as the UPENN specialized studies program. I am also applying for the biomedical science certificate at UT-Dallas.

some numbers: 3.35 GPA, 2.99 sGPA, MCAT: 26P

First off, I know my numbers are rather low, but keep in mind that I am trying ultimately to get into a TX med school.

My question is would it be wise for me to do one of the two SMP's in Boston, since I will be able to compete with medical students, or would I be just as well off doing the MUCH CHEAPER UT-Dallas program?

The UT-Dallas program is not an smp, but offers tough upper level science courses.

I am just wavering because the SMP programs are soooo expensive:(, as well as far from home. Can anybody give me some advice?

also, should I retake the MCAT for the third time?

Thanks

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I really like the UT Dallas program. Do the math on whether more undergrad can improve your GPA substantially enough to do UTD instead of an SMP. If you do 2 years there, all science, would this get you up over 3.4 for both GPAs?

Definitely I think you should retake the MCAT, and aim for an above-average score - that means 32+.

Look for vc7777 and see if you can get his/her advice.

Also look at the URM postbacs like Wake Forest. There's a list in the "GPA enhancement" sticky in this forum.

Best of luck to you.

OP
TXtaco25

TXtaco25

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Medical Student
thanks for the quick response drmidlife, i did some math, and after one year, I could at best raise my GPA to a 3.45, and my science gpa to a 3.2. Would those increases be substantial enough? also, I could only do a year, because from looking at the course guide for UT-Dallas, they don't have that great of an array of upper level science courses.

Also, if I could only reach a 29 or 30 on my mcat, would that pretty much be a nail in the coffin for me? I am going to bust my butt studying no doubt, but I am not a very good standardized test taker :rolleyes:

and I will look out for vc7777

thanks for the help

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you were looking to stay in Texas for medical school did you consider TCOM's SMP? I know it's at UNTH's osteopathic school but I've also heard that all Texas schools regard the program highly and its students end up going to other allopathic schools in the state. It would probably be cheap(er) for you as well since you're an instate resident.

jslo85

Resident
7+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
thanks for the quick response drmidlife, i did some math, and after one year, I could at best raise my GPA to a 3.45, and my science gpa to a 3.2. Would those increases be substantial enough? also, I could only do a year, because from looking at the course guide for UT-Dallas, they don't have that great of an array of upper level science courses.

Also, if I could only reach a 29 or 30 on my mcat, would that pretty much be a nail in the coffin for me? I am going to bust my butt studying no doubt, but I am not a very good standardized test taker :rolleyes:

and I will look out for vc7777

thanks for the help
If you are aiming purely at Texas medical schools, I think if you apply early as well as having an strong performance at UT Dallas, you would definitely recieve at least 1-2 interviews in state with those numbers. Granted they aren't competitive in outside your state but as Texas schools accept a vast majority of instate, I think that they will look at your application favorably coming out of UT Dallas with a 30 or so MCAT score. (the higher the better).

OP
TXtaco25

TXtaco25

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Medical Student
jslo85, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! Correct me if I am wrong, but you are going to be attending one of the boston (BU or tufts) programs correct? Sorry if I just pulled that out of thin air!

OP
TXtaco25

TXtaco25

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Medical Student
vvanndenn, I graduated in December from Texas A&M University. gig em!

OP
TXtaco25

TXtaco25

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Medical Student
thanks for the stats conrad, the more I think about it, the more I feel that UT-Dallas is the most logical choice for me. Thanks for all the help guys.