How important is name recognition for an SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenma_dr

Reaction score
For context, I'll be starting an SMP at Rutgers this fall. I know it's not as well-known as programs like Georgetown and Boston, but it still has med-school level classes. Does it matter where I do my SMP as long as the curriculum is rigorous and mimics med school?

Members don't see this ad.

For context, I'll be starting an SMP at Rutgers this fall. I know it's not as well-known as programs like Georgetown and Boston, but it still has med-school level classes. Does it matter where I do my SMP as long as the curriculum is rigorous and mimics med school?
Who told you Rutgers does not have a well-known SMP?

Sorry I should've clarified -the Piscataway program, not Newark. I've seen people say that it's still a fairly new program and not as established as Newark

Members don't see this ad :)
I see that you’re an admissions advisor. I’m wondering if you can speak to how well-known the Piscataway program is? Or whether adcoms in general are familiar with it

I see that you’re an admissions advisor. I’m wondering if you can speak to how well-known the Piscataway program is? Or whether adcoms in general are familiar with it
If they are a new program, admissions officers won't have much to go on other than the curriculum and the level of mentoring that exists. But that's different than brand recognition. That's where your program director letter is extremely important.

These programs are a dime a dozen. Just do well.

Reactions: 2 users