LOOKING FOR ANSWERS!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vlad

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had an unsuccessful year of applying to US med schools. I don't want to loose another yearr studying for the MCAT and re-applying. I'm also 31 with all kinds of experiences, but I feel that this is the time to move ahead.
I've been seriously thinking about SGU and Ross. But it is hard to get direct answers from people. Which is better? Is it to late to apply? I understand that US-trained MDs have
a bias against Carribean-trained MDs, but how bad is it? Is it the same as with DOs or worse?

Members don't see this ad.

Vlad I have yet to apply to medical school but I am also a non-traditional student like yourself, just not international.. :wink: From what I have heard from other students applying to off-shore schools is not a great idea in this time and age. I have heard that it is becoming more difficult to obtain residency positions as a FMG (foreign medical graduate). Now I do know for a fact that one of the sdn moderators graduated from a foreign med school and is now doing her residency here in the U.S. So try to apply here (which it seems that you have) if you do not get in and being a doctor is your ultimate goal then consider going to a foreign school for you will become a doctor at any school. Good luck!

vlad, I've found out that asking people about Ross vs. SGU is futile. Both schools have pros and cons, and the answers you'll get from people will range from the logical to the immature/ranting. Do your own research and decide for yourself. If you have the time and money, travel and visit the schools (after all, they're in the Caribbean, so it could be a nice vacation too!). Also, make sure you read all the topics in the International forum, for this subject has been discussed at length.

Another thing I've noticed is a lot of mention about bias against DOs. I don't see that at all except in forums where a bunch of people are dying to get into an MD school. People don't care if their doctor is an MD or DO (after all, they call them "doctors" and not "MD" or "DO"). As a matter of fact, the most competent doctor I've met is a DO, and I didn't know he was a DO until I saw his business card. If you can go to a DO school instead of a foreign school, I believe that would be a great way to become a physician. Just my opinion.

In case you want to know, I'm 33 and I will apply to Medical Schools next year. I will attempt both MD and DO schools, and if that fails I'll go to a foreign school, most likely UAG in Guadalajara (Mexico). I'm not concerned about reputations or biases; I know it all depends on me. It sounds corny, but it's true. Good luck with your pursuit of a Medical education and remember that great quote from a classic movie: "No fate but what we make" (Terminator 2).

- Lucho

Members don't see this ad :)
I know many FMGs who just finished the match this yr. and can shed some light they gave.

In order of preference: U.S. MD> U.S. D.O.> well known foreign schools McGill, Ross, St. Georges> other not well known foreign schools, with european schools better then Indian schools.

If u check Ross and St. George website u will see that their grads. have attained residencys consistently and do WELL on their boards.

If u are looking to do a comp. field then it might not be a good idea to do it foreign, BUT if u are open to less comp. fields then should look into foreign schools.

Is there a bias against FMGs: YES!! But in the end if ur a doc in this country u will make $$ and that they can't take from u even if they don't respect u.

If u pick a foreign school make sure they have 1. Good board passing rates and 2. They let u do rotation in U.S. hospitals in ur clinical yrs.

Just a foot note, make sure the school is listed in the World Health Organization directory as accredited (this will save you some grief later). You can find this information, by calling the WHO. Also the ECFMG is compiling their own list of schools so check with them as well.http://imed.ecfmg.org/

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doraemon:

Another thing I've noticed is a lot of mention about bias against DOs. I don't see that at all except in forums where a bunch of people are dying to get into an MD school. People don't care if their doctor is an MD or DO (after all, they call them "doctors" and not "MD" or "DO"). As a matter of fact, the most competent doctor I've met is a DO, and I didn't know he was a DO until I saw his business card. If you can go to a DO school instead of a foreign school, I believe that would be a great way to become a physician. Just my opinion.•••••He's right - patients rarely know or care. Even if they do ask (which tends to be in areas without a DO school nearby), few care.

The bias that DOES exist tends to be among pre-meds and at some programs. I will be honest and tell you there is a bias against DOs here in Surgery. We took our first one this year (and it comes as no suprise to me that he's probably one of the best first year surgical residents). There are lots of derogatory comments made about DOs in other departments (there are plenty in Peds and FP). Of course, once you work with someone you rarely care about their degree as long as they carry their weight and do a good job.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ether:
[QB]

In order of preference: U.S. MD> U.S. D.O.> well known foreign schools McGill, Ross, St. Georges> other not well known foreign schools, with european schools better then Indian schools.

QB]••••McGill is not considered a foreign school. It is LCME accredited and a lot of Americans have turned down US schools to go to McGill. It certainly is in a much higher league that Ross or SGU.

McGill Uni is in Montreal, but has English instruction, is one of 16 Canadian med. schools, all are LCME accredited, and its graduates are NOT FMG's in the post-graduate American system, ie. 100% on par with an American med. school.

such as any other canadian med school. Mc Gill cannot be compared to SGU or Ross.

McGill is known as the "Harvard" of Canada. You can't be serious in saying it is on par with Ross or SGU!!! thats helarious!

I think s/he means that while McGill may or may not be in the same league as Hopkins, SGU and Ross are in a league all by themselves :D :wink:

How did it get to be all about McGill?