Looking for CA-1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Vilo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm a PGY-2 in general surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. I have done some SICU rotations and I'm actually enjoying it much more than I thought. In fact, I would like to switch into anesthesia. I was wondering if somebody knows about any CA-1 in anesthesia.

I would appreciate any help and inputs

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Currently I'm a PGY-2 in general surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. I have done some SICU rotations and I'm actually enjoying it much more than I thought. In fact, I would like to switch into anesthesia. I was wondering if somebody knows about any CA-1 in anesthesia.

I would appreciate any help and inputs

Thanks

Please see my thread on list of CA-1 positions here .
All of these will have you go through the match. Post-match, if any of them go unfilled, then you can apply to it directly and and start on July 1, 2013. Else, you can apply to them in the next match for a July 2014 CA-1 start. I believe that all positions with a start after February of the next year must go through the match, even if techincally off-cycle.
G'luck.

Sorry for what may sound like a dumb question, this list with some very well known programs have openings for people who have completed intern year? After match day you can call them and apply directly if they haven't been filled?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for what may sound like a dumb question, this list with some very well known programs have openings for people who have completed intern year? After match day you can call them and apply directly if they haven't been filled?

Yes. These are for people who have completed (or are expected to complete) at least one year of training in an ACGME accredited program by July 1 of that year.
After SOAP there is no harm in checking with them. You can find the coordinators' emails/phone #s in FREIDA.

Wow are those spots mainly result of people dropping out after intern year? Seems like tons of people would be jumping all over some of those programs

No. These are not a result of people dropping out after intern year. They are designated CA-1 start spots specifically for those that saw the light a tad later than others.

i would also guess quite of few of these came out of the new all-in rule by nrmp. many of the programs likely had funding for these positions and were offering them out of match in the past to applicants who a) didn't match an advanced spot previously and went ahead with a preliminary intern year or b) had a change of heart. i wouldn't be surprised if many of these spots already existed "under the radar" (which was not an nrmp violation in the past as they are current year advanced positions) but are now being forced to match them within nrmp.