Looking for funny moments in EM

Started by GarcendyD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarcendyD

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,

Im looking for funny moments in the emergency depart for a series of shorts that may become (more than likely will become) an animated series. For now id like some help getting interesting scenarios together (funny and relatable to all meds: MD, PA, Nursing, etc..) releasing on a schedule and getting at least 20 or so 4-8 panel stories out on the inter web monthly. So PLEASE: reply to this thread with your own wacky stories or thoughts about Medicine as it pertains to the emergency room. Thanks for your time my peoples in med!
 
Patient checks in and asks, "is it normal for my belly button to pop out?" Belly button reduced prior to arrival, no pain.
 
When I was in residency, I was the medicine resident on call overnight. There is a very strict No Overhead Paging Residents rule short of major catastrophe. At about 2-3am in the morning the speaker starts blaring, "Dr __ report to Trauma immediately! Dr __ report to Trauma immediately!" I grab my whitecoat and do a mad dash back to the ER towards the trauma bays wondering what's going on, adrenaline spiking. Is there a mass casualty? A biohazard incident? The ER physicians thought it would be cool for me to watch the surgeon pull a cucumber out of a guys behind. "Well, it's definitely a pickle now."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I was in residency, I was the medicine resident on call overnight. There is a very strict No Overhead Paging Residents rule short of major catastrophe. At about 2-3am in the morning the speaker starts blaring, "Dr __ report to Trauma immediately! Dr __ report to Trauma immediately!" I grab my whitecoat and do a mad dash back to the ER towards the trauma bays wondering what's going on, adrenaline spiking. Is there a mass casualty? A biohazard incident? The ER physicians thought it would be cool for me to watch the surgeon pull a cucumber out of a guys behind. "Well, it's definitely a pickle now."
LOVE IT!
 
More sad than funny, but how about interviewing at an EM residency the same day it loses its ACGME accreditation?
 
Okay. Here goes:

First year of residency. TRAUMA ALERT: LEVEL 1!
Me and two other classmates gown up, glove up, face-shields on.
Homegirl has the head and airway. I'm on the right, buddy is on the left.
This was a trucker that had a seizure behind the wheel (supposedly) and while he was able to guide the truck to the side of the road, still managed to hit some big object (tree, signpost, whatever).

If you know how these traumas are run, its "look, listen, strip, flip".
Guy is post-ictal. Homegirl has airway control up-top.
GoodBudddy and I break out our shears, cut off the pants.
We get the pants off, and we find that trucker is wearing a very lacey pair of Victoria's Secret panties on underneath his tuff-trucker jeans.
We look at each other; don't say a word. "What the ffcuk?" is the look on both of our faces.
Homey's junk is hanging out around the small-cut of the panties.
The panties are red.

Maybe it made him feel pretty.
Maybe they were his wife's panties, and he wanted to feel close to her while he was on the road.

We don't know.

But we finished our job. Cut off the panties, and got the guy to his pan-scan, and the rest is academic.

Buddy and I are decompressing after that. Guy has a great sense of humor. We're still buddies to this day.
Neither of us speaks for :30 seconds. Until he breaks the silence with:

"Uhhh... this doesn't make you and me gay, does it?"


Nothing but laughter for the next 3 minutes.
 
Hello Everyone,

Im looking for funny moments in the emergency depart for a series of shorts that may become (more than likely will become) an animated series. For now id like some help getting interesting scenarios together (funny and relatable to all meds: MD, PA, Nursing, etc..) releasing on a schedule and getting at least 20 or so 4-8 panel stories out on the inter web monthly. So PLEASE: reply to this thread with your own wacky stories or thoughts about Medicine as it pertains to the emergency room. Thanks for your time my peoples in med!
What royalty are you offering for work used?
 
Hey everyone, I locked this for the time being, but will reopen it once we hear back.
Thanks,
 
Good Evening guys,

Sorry I haven't had much time to update everyone so here it is:

Im developing a web comic that I myself will turn into an animation posted on youtube circa this time next year (maybe). the stories will be closely based off some of the ideas that you guys share with me here and will be made to fit the universe the stories are told in. For now though we are in the "rough" stage and will be working on completing these web comics (when I say "we" i mean me, just little ol' me) as time and motivation permits.

Royalties: Long story short, there won't be any. I don't PLAN to make money on this series and if I do, it'll be in the way of externals (i.e. merch and games) all members who's stories are adapted will get a shoutout ("original story by xyz" with a link to SDR at the bottom. ) I don't wanna get all bibliographic when it comes to sources because there are many hospitals with individuals with similar and sometimes identical stories so we best we can do is annotate it as such.

This is strictly voluntary, we are very excited to bring this world to life and share in a couple of laughs with like minded individuals. Thank you for your time and keep em' coming!
 
Gotta say that this seems to fall under advertising more than general discussion. I don’t think mining members for monetized and uncompensated content is really a primary function of the forum
 
Gotta say that this seems to fall under advertising more than general discussion. I don’t think mining members for monetized and uncompensated content is really a primary function of the forum
I agree with you, and it seems to be doing more harm than good anyway. We can stop here, no material will be used from this thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.