Looking for gay friendly midwest family practice program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carl312

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Does anyone know of any gay-friendly family practice programs in the midwest that will afford the opportunity for HIV care training in the continuity of clinics? I have no desire to go back in the closet and want to get some training in managing HIV in my practice. I'm aware of the St. Lukes program in Milwaukee. I'm in Chicago now and would like to stay in the general area (meaning Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan). Also I'm a DO. Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

This is only a guess, but my thinking is that you will figure it out rather quickly on the interview trail. I would stick to major academic centers though like Cook county if you want HIV training, and large city programs are usually more culturally sensitive. But in this day and age, if a program even in Tuscaloosa, Alabama can't accept a fellow resident because they are gay, then thats just absurd. If you have made it to the level of physician and still cannot be sensitive to that kind of stuff, and then you become a program director, then something is just wrong with that picture. My advice...synopsis...big city/academic program.

UIowa and UWisconsin are both in liberal towns. IC is very friendly and open-minded. Happy FP residents. THere is not however a lot of HIV. Obviously, some but not a ton.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think any program will be lucky to have you. Studies show that the gay population is very loyal to people that look out for their best interests, and how many times do you hear a physician say that they are gay and are willing to help the AIDS population? I could see the flock of patients now...

Just be yourself come interview time, and let the chips fall where they may during residency. It's nobody's business what you do on your free time, and you will do well no matter where you go.

If you really want exposure, the Coastal programs will give you what you want (NY, Miami, California, DC, Philly, etc, etc,....). I know you want to stay midwest, but don't close all your options. You have very unique qualities that will make you an asset to any program. Seriously!

Carl312 said:
Hi guys. Does anyone know of any gay-friendly family practice programs in the midwest that will afford the opportunity for HIV care training in the continuity of clinics? I have no desire to go back in the closet and want to get some training in managing HIV in my practice. I'm aware of the St. Lukes program in Milwaukee. I'm in Chicago now and would like to stay in the general area (meaning Illinois/Wisconsin/Michigan). Also I'm a DO. Thanks for any info.

Just noticed your post, and thought that I would add my kudos to the other posts. I have been looking for similar info.--especially concerning domestic partner benefits! I too am looking to end up in the Midwest (I'm from Tennessee) and have found the UWisconsin very open to domestic partner/gay issues; BONUS, Madison rocks! Also, Rush and Northwestern are very casual about gay issues i.e. you're just a typical student, with a different lifestyle--no big deal! Also, on the Path page, one student recommended URochester which is in upstate NY (read: midwest atmosphere without the hangups). Good luck; I'll be watching the other responses for selfish reasons!! :D

Broken record alert- UIowa has domestic partner benefits as well, I believe.

Hey guys. I just wanted to thank you for all your kind words and suggestions. I've looked into the Cook County program and from what I understand, any HIV + patients go automatically to the HIV service at the CORE Center so they have very little contact with family practice. I know that UW Madison is pretty good and Illinois Masonic (which I believe also has domestic partnership benefits). MacNeal is very open and supportive but no domestic partnerships. Thanks everybody and good luck to us all.