Looking for help with ambiguity secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caramelsauce

Reaction score
I'm trying to write Penn/Perelman's essay on ambiguity and I've been struggle to decide which example is appropriate for the prompt. Here is the prompt:

"We are all navigating through challenging times, and physicians and physician-scientists must contend with many instances of uncertainty. Describe a time when you faced a situation that was ambiguous, confusing, or uncertain, and how you navigated making a decision without complete information (3000 characters)"

Here are a few ideas, which one would be best?
1) One night in my college town, I watched a very intoxicated girl be walked away by a more sober man, and I wasn't sure if she knew him. I really wasn't sure and debated going up to them for a while (in case the situation went south), but ultimately I went up to them and pretended to be her friend in case she needed an out. She reassured me the man was her bf and everything was fine.
2) As an EMT, I've had to make a few pt care decisions without a lot of info, but I don't want to open myself up to any judgement of my clinical decisions, or have readers poke holes in my clinical judgement.
3) Deciding to attend my out-of-state college, without knowing much about it or really knowing anyone there.

I can also go back to the drawing board if none of these work for the prompt. Let me know what you guys think is best!

Members don't see this ad.

I like the first example. It shows that you are empathetic and resourceful in thinking of a ruse that could help a woman who might be in a precarious situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Also really like #1. Reading other people is fraught with ambiguity. Psychology prisoner game dilemmas are good.

EDIT: #3 is probably fine but need a little more information.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user