Looking for opinions on testing date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xsoppy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a Junior and starting to plan out my study strategy for the MCAT. Right now I can't decide if I should take the test in late January/early February or in late April/early May.

Relevant classes I have taken:
Intro bio1/2, gen chem 1/2, ochem 1/2, multiple psych classes

Schedule for this semester:
Physics 1, biochem, cell bio, psych class, 2 credits of research

My thinking is that I could take the MCAT in late January and be able to devote my 5 weeks of winter break to studying (only exception is I will need to shadow ~40 hours). This would also mean I would have to start studying during this semester while I am taking a few difficult classes and I will not have taken physics 2 before the exam.

I could take the MCAT in May and be done with physics 2 before it but then I would have no time completely dedicated to studying, though I could just take a bunch of easy classes.

Any opinions on which strategy sounds better? Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Why can you only take the exam in May and not any other time in the early summer? I would certainly recommend you take the MCAT after you've taken all the courses. Physics 2 especially is very heavily tested on the MCAT. I (the author of this post, an EK instructor) took the MCAT in early June after my junior year of undergrad and was still able to apply successfully.