Looking for opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pharmacy is something I've been working towards academically for the past year. I feel very confident I know what I'm getting myself into but I'm not at all confident in my odds of getting accepted (like many others here). I was wondering if I could get some advice and opinions on my stats... and what I can do to improve my chances. Perhaps it'll help others get an idea on what they need to do too.

When I apply next year I'll be receiving a bs in Microbiology in the Spring after attending 5 years at the University of Central Florida.
GPA: 3.6

Extra curricular: Member of 2 clubs and 2 honor societies but have little time to volunteer.

PCAT 1st attempt:
85 Biology
85 Reading Comp
79 Chemistry
60 Verbal
40 Quantitative
76% Composite

No pharmacy experience. Conversed with many pharmacists, pharm techs, and doctors to get a feel for the career and other options.

I've been working as a data operator at Lockheed Martin for about 15 months.
I'd appreciate any help.
:)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, as far as your chances of getting accepted... I don't know what every school's stats are like, but yours are *exactly* the averages at West Virginia University (76% PCAT, 3.61 GPA) so just by that alone, you should have a decent shot at a school. As far as increasing your chances goes... really, just try to wow whomever on your interview by knowing a whole lot about the profession. If you have a writing sample, take it seriously and do the absolute best you can. Putting in that extra bit of effort to get yourself noticed will be what puts you above the rest :)

It depends on where you want to go. You won't be able to get into UF with a 76 PCAT. You could take it again, though.

It seems like you have good grades and have done a lot with your life so far. I'd apply to a school that takes more of your personal life into consideration and places less emphasis on test scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, i have no clue what Lockheed Martin is, lol, but are you working full time or going to school fulltime? if you are a fulltime student who is working parttime, i think [and this is PURELY my opinion] you should rearrange your schedule to seriously fit in ONE volunteer activity that you really like and can be very involved with (ok, maybe not liek SUPER involved like it takes up all your time and affects your grades)...what i mean is, pick something meaningful so you can write ab it in your app AND talk passionately about at your interview to stand out. you don't have to go all crazy at this point b/c i think your stats are good (i'd say retake the PCAT)--just pick one volunteer activity and go have fun! :)

Your math killed your composite. Buy every PCAT book you can as long as they have different practice tests and get your math up to speed. Do all the tests over and over until you can save time by knowing what the question wants by just looking at it. I found for me, that the actual pcat math was very similar to all the practice tests, but the time seemed to go quicker. So practice up on that, and the chem a bit, and your composite should increase well.

I had no pharmacy work experience at all. I volunteered in my bro-in-laws pharmacy for a day a week for only about a month, and that seemed to be enough experience to make the schools happy because not one was bothered by it. You have a good gpa and a degree will make the schools happy.

Maybe volunteer a bit so you can get some stories to tell the interviewers. This is what I found about my interviews, (I interviewed four places and got in all so I think it is a good method). The interview is the only place to sell yourself. Most interviewers don't give a crap about what you think or what you feel, they are looking for people that like what they like, that feel the way they feel. TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR! Spend some time finding out about your interviewers if you can. Ask others about them. Once I got to the schools and got my agenda on the day, on breaks I ran around the school, found their office, what it was close to, etc. to try to find out something about the person. If you see other students around the campus on break, ask them about the professor who is going to interview you, what he does at the school (just teach, involved in research, etc.). Ask about what he likes.

Then when it is time to sit down and they ask about you, you like what the interviewer likes. Tell them what they want to hear. If they are involved in doing a lot of drug research, you want to be a researcher. If they are strictly an academic, you possibly want to teach. If they have military experience, tell them about your family in the military and how working for the armed forces might interest you later on. Once you are interested in what the interviewer wants, get them talking about it, get them telling you about their specialty. Most interviewers like to talk about themselves. Make sure you are an attentive listener and thank them for their advice.

Many people laugh at this method, but interviews are all the same, whether for school or a job. They don't care about you, they want to fit their special applicant in, so be that applicant. I felt like I was in each place after I walked out of the interview.

Once you are in, you can do anything you want. Getting in is the key. Good luck.

I would raise your PCAT score a little bit, and also squeeze in some volunteer activities in their esp. pharmacy experience if you could.

You won't get in based on your scores alone. The scores and ecs will enable you to get an interview and then you will have to wow them there.

Just be a little more well-rounded and i'm sure you will get an interview. take care

Jeddevil said:
Your math killed your composite. Buy every PCAT book you can as long as they have different practice tests and get your math up to speed. Do all the tests over and over until you can save time by knowing what the question wants by just looking at it. I found for me, that the actual pcat math was very similar to all the practice tests, but the time seemed to go quicker. So practice up on that, and the chem a bit, and your composite should increase well.

I had no pharmacy work experience at all. I volunteered in my bro-in-laws pharmacy for a day a week for only about a month, and that seemed to be enough experience to make the schools happy because not one was bothered by it. You have a good gpa and a degree will make the schools happy.

Maybe volunteer a bit so you can get some stories to tell the interviewers. This is what I found about my interviews, (I interviewed four places and got in all so I think it is a good method). The interview is the only place to sell yourself. Most interviewers don't give a crap about what you think or what you feel, they are looking for people that like what they like, that feel the way they feel. TELL THEM WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR! Spend some time finding out about your interviewers if you can. Ask others about them. Once I got to the schools and got my agenda on the day, on breaks I ran around the school, found their office, what it was close to, etc. to try to find out something about the person. If you see other students around the campus on break, ask them about the professor who is going to interview you, what he does at the school (just teach, involved in research, etc.). Ask about what he likes.

Then when it is time to sit down and they ask about you, you like what the interviewer likes. Tell them what they want to hear. If they are involved in doing a lot of drug research, you want to be a researcher. If they are strictly an academic, you possibly want to teach. If they have military experience, tell them about your family in the military and how working for the armed forces might interest you later on. Once you are interested in what the interviewer wants, get them talking about it, get them telling you about their specialty. Most interviewers like to talk about themselves. Make sure you are an attentive listener and thank them for their advice.

Many people laugh at this method, but interviews are all the same, whether for school or a job. They don't care about you, they want to fit their special applicant in, so be that applicant. I felt like I was in each place after I walked out of the interview.

Once you are in, you can do anything you want. Getting in is the key. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely try and volunteer at a pharmacy or do some tutoring at school... and that PCAT in the summer sounds like a good opportunity.

Not all schools require the PCAT as well, maybe apply to some of those. If possible try and apply to a variety of schools in different locations as well. Make sure to get your app in early too.

ethyl said:
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely try and volunteer at a pharmacy or do some tutoring at school... and that PCAT in the summer sounds like a good opportunity.

I can't stress it enough, but volunteer at a pharmacy. If possible, volunteer at a hospital pharmacy since that environment provides a multitude of options (inpatients, outpatient, rounds, etc). You really can't get an idea of what pharmacy is until you've experienced it first hand.

One of the first questions I was asked by the Pharmacy admissions commitee at my school was regarding my pharmacy experience. Pharmacy schools are looking for individuals who have committed themselves and believe pharmacy is the career for them.

I think retaking the PCAT is a good idea, but I would focus on Chem more and math less. I took the Jan 04 PCAT and got a 98 % in Chem, a 79% in math and my composite was 98%. I had 90's in the other sections, so that may have played a roll as well, but at least for me, the Chem saved my score.

Volunteer experience is important, but for me, they asked if I had some, which I had about 6 months worth, but hadn't been doing it for the last year. The fact that I had some experience, and I could speak positively about it was good. They understand if your schedule is too full to fit other things in, but I think I would dump the two volunteer things and get into a pharmacy somehow. It isn't completely necessary (I got in with no experience) but anything to make you the ideal candidate is a good thing (and just think about future recommendation letters!)

Good luck!