Looking for opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirtoyou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off I'm still formulating ideas so this post will be necessarily.....tentative?Squishy?Not good?Something like that. As such I apologize in advance.

I'm really just looking for some opinions on my situation and what my options are. That said my situation.

I'm located in the S.F Bay area of California and am hoping to stay local. I got my undergraduate degree in Microbiology at a college that doesn't give grades (so while I did take classes that gave me grades at other colleges I don't have a GPA). I'm looking to get a degree in Clinical Psychology, most probably a masters. Eventually resulting in an MFT (I realize I will have to take additional courses).

Having no official psychology training I feel like my standards are necessarily low. Right now it seems like the only program immediately open to me is Argosy, however I've read a lot of negative press about them.

I suppose my question is if not Argosy then what?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from Chapman with a BS in Psych, Sirtoyou. And, they also had a clinical psych MA that I was going to take before I got sent overseas. My experience with Chapman was first rate, and they have a couple satellite campuses in the bay area that you might want to check out. As far as the little experience with psych, some programs might have you take a couple classes as prereqs, but I think that will be completely dependent on the program you're applying to. Hope this helps a little, and good luck.

.w

I'm located in the S.F Bay area of California and am hoping to stay local. I got my undergraduate degree in Microbiology at a college that doesn't give grades (so while I did take classes that gave me grades at other colleges I don't have a GPA). I'm looking to get a degree in Clinical Psychology, most probably a masters. Eventually resulting in an MFT (I realize I will have to take additional courses).

Having no official psychology training I feel like my standards are necessarily low. Right now it seems like the only program immediately open to me is Argosy, however I've read a lot of negative press about them.

I suppose my question is if not Argosy then what?

I've researched master's programs in counseling psychology in the Bay Area. I've listed some of the ones I've found in the thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=841004. As I understand it Argosy is a for profit school so I would tend to avoid those kinds of schools. HTH.