Looking for PGY2/CA1 spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollo11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've completed 2 ACGME accredited fellowships, one in pain medicine ("Top tier" program) and the other in Hospice and palliative care. About to start prelim year at Level I trauma center. Looking for a PGY2/CA1 position (starting August 2021). I'm highly motivated, have extensive US clinical experience, use Epic and CPRS, have 3 peer-reviewed publications. No red flags.

Edit: I completed residency outside the states and did fellowships here.

I submitted my eras application late into the season and applied to handful number of programs, perhaps both of these contributed to me going unmatched for advanced anesthesia position. Unfortunately, submitting the application late was beyond my control, but not applying broadly was overconfidence on my part

Please PM me if you're aware of any openings.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m confused by this story. You have done 2 ACGME fellowships which would mean you have finished a residency in something (EM would qualify you for both, maybe Psych or PM&R too?). Why are you going back and doing a prelim year? What is your residency in and why aren’t you working in the field in the interim...?

Reactions: 1 users
When I read the post, I was confused too. The only scenario that made sense to me was that this person completed residency outside the states, and did fellowships here. But the OP wont be able to practice independently in the states, so is seeking a residency spot.

Could be wrong though, but i know someone who is doing residency again for this reason.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts exactly.
When I read the post, I was confused too. The only scenario that made sense to me was that this person completed residency outside the states, and did fellowships here. But the OP wont be able to practice independently in the states, so is seeking a residency spot.

Could be wrong though, but i know someone who is doing residency again for this reason.

That's exactly right

I'm sorry for the confusion, I should have explained all of that in my original post

Reactions: 1 user
That's exactly right

I'm sorry for the confusion, I should have explained all of that in my original post

Sorry, but I dont have much to offer. Perhaps, you can reach out to the programs at the institutions where you did your fellowships, if you havent done so yet. Strong endorsement from anesthesiologists that you worked with in the past will probably make the strongest impact. Use those attendings’ connections.

I know that isnt the answer you are looking for, but I wish you best of luck. Some of the hardest working fellows/residents I know are from similar background as you.

Thank you for your kind words. Indeed, I've been trying to always be an examplary house staff and my LORs speak of that. I hope I'll get a spot this year.
Is your residency in anesthesia? There are some programs that will let you work for them without doing a whole new residency. But you would be stuck there for probably the entirety of your career. I have met some foreigners that did this.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve done one year of medicine, and interested in a real PGY2 spot Too :)