Looking for pocket book with differentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corona 247

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need a pocket book that I can look up say RUQ pain and get a list of most likely differentials, for my IM rotation.. I know there are really good PDA software that does it, but I am still deciding whether to get a PDA. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The only book that I know of that lists its chapters by chief complaint is Pocket Emergency Medicine.....
http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Emerge...7292864?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188952465&sr=1-1

Perhaps you should check out its cousin Pocket Medicine by Sabatine. I haven't yet seen the new edition but I wonder if it is laid out the same way. Maybe someone else can comment if it is.....

BMW-

Hey everyone,

I need a pocket book that I can look up say RUQ pain and get a list of most likely differentials, for my IM rotation.. I know there are really good PDA software that does it, but I am still deciding whether to get a PDA. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I have the pocketbook called "Differential Diagnosis" by Sailer, Wasner. It's small and I really like it. It's pretty extensive as well. It groups the differentials into categories, ie causes of epilepsy include neoplasms, infections, metabolic/endocrine disorders, drugs/toxins, cerebrovascular...then has all the examples within each category. It's good for coming up with a quick DDX.

Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend Ferri's Differential Diagnosis. Very compact but thorough will differentials listed in descending order of probability.

I had the Saint-Frances Guide to Impatient Medicine recommended to me by a pathophys instructor last year. It is organized this way, largely by presenting complaint. It was a little bit much for second year, but I picked it up and used it here and there.

I haven't had IM yet, but I've definitely liked the book the handful of times I've used it for random stuff...Anyone who's had the rotation familiar with this book and have any more thoughts on it?

I have Saint-Frances, and I like it. but for true pocket-size, I also recommend Sailer and Wasner "differential diagnosis's pocket". I honestly don't use it that often, b/c i can also look up symptoms in my PDA, but I still use it occasionally and like having it.