Looking for Secondary Advice: PhD Research Interest

Started by Snaketail
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Snaketail

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I am currently pre-writing some common secondary essays. A handful of the programs to which I am applying ask something to the effect of: "Please describe your primary research interests for the PhD portion of dual degree". The short version of my question: How specific should this interest be?

While I really enjoy my lab and have a really strong relationship with my PI, I am not particularly interested in doing my PhD on my current research topic. Moreover, while I am fairly confident what type of graduate program I would like to apply into, I am interested in trying labs/fields different from the one in which I currently work. Should I avoid expressing indecision in these essays? Is it a red flag to not have a specific research interest to speak of in these essays? I have been told that I should present a broad project that I could see myself pursuing, yet I worry this will come off as insincere if it doesn't really match my past research experiences.

I'm also guessing that similar questions will come up in interviews, and I am also curious how others have handled these questions in the past. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I would write about what you're interested in and list a few potential mentors to show you have done the homework and know that the school is a good fit for you.

I don't think you need to present a broad project, but demonstrate interest in a field.