Looking for some advice on searching for jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twolves21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been checking out this forum for the past few weeks and it seems like a great resource. I've recently passed the July NPTE exam and have just completed my state Jurisprudence test a few days ago. I have chosen (for better or for worse) to hold off on any job searching until those exams were completed.

Anyway, so now I am hoping to get some advice on job searching strategies. I have my resume completed and have been using indeed.com to search for opportunities and have begun to apply online for some of the jobs. I was thinking that it would would also be a good idea to go in person to the locations that I've applied to and hand them a physical copy of my resume and references just to show face. This has seemed to work for me with part time jobs in the past.

If you guys have any other ideas or any other resources similar to indeed to keep in mind and try, it would be great.

Thanks and good luck to the rest of you guys in my position

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in a desirable (read, saturated) area? There seems to be a lot of demand in rural or semi-rural areas. I also got plenty of calls from recruiters, even though I didn't use them.

Also keep in mind that many employers only post openings to their own websites, especially in saturated areas. I've had the best luck by making a short list of preferred employers, bookmarking their employment pages, and checking them daily.
I'd caution against showing up in person. Most employers list instructions for applying, which often include asking that you email your resume and not call them, let alone show up in person. Chances are you'd only be showing face to a receptionist anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in a desirable (read, saturated) area? There seems to be a lot of demand in rural or semi-rural areas. I also got plenty of calls from recruiters, even though I didn't use them.

I am in a saturated area but there also seems to be a decent need for PTs from what I've seen. I am not sure what you mean by recruiters, could you explain that a little further?

Also keep in mind that many employers only post openings to their own websites, especially in saturated areas. I've had the best luck by making a short list of preferred employers, bookmarking their employment pages, and checking them daily.
I'd caution against showing up in person. Most employers list instructions for applying, which often include asking that you email your resume and not call them, let alone show up in person. Chances are you'd only be showing face to a receptionist anyway.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, I'll definitely look up what each location wants from potential applicants. I also like the idea about bookmarking employment pages in case they don't list the opportunities on job search engines.

Congrats! What areas do you have in mind and in what settings? I found that my best resources were my CI's, let them know you're looking if they're in the area and settings you want. Also, they should be your references if asked. Good luck!

Congrats! What areas do you have in mind and in what settings? I found that my best resources were my CI's, let them know you're looking if they're in the area and settings you want. Also, they should be your references if asked. Good luck!

Thanks! I am looking into outpatient orthopedics in the South Florida area. I have talked to my CI's about using them as references, but unfortunately all my clinicals were out of state, but I may ask them anyway to see if they have anything in mind.