Looking for Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Savvy95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I am currently finishing up my non-science undergrad at Texas A&M. I have decided that I want to pursue vet school in the future but have been told once I graduate that it will be difficult to take the genetics and biochemistry courses. I heave seen on here that many people go to schools and take classes for non degree seeking students so I am looking into that. I have seen a few places that offer classes like biochemistry online and have thought about that. Does anyone know if that is, I guess for lack of words, frowned upon by vet schools to take the science classes online or do they prefer those be taken in person? Once graduated I will have to begin working full time so I do not think that I will have the time to take those in person.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

This is my first thread also so if this was answered somewhere else I do apologize!

Members don't see this ad.

The best resource would be to go and ask the admissions offices of the schools you’re thinking of applying to, especially your IS.
And I think a lot of the reason people say it’ll be hard to take them once you graduate is because you’ll automatically be lower priority for registering for the class than someone who is a degree seeking student, so the class may be full before you are allowed to register and you would be SOL.

Reactions: 1 users
I opened this thread and immediately knew that you went to A&M with this opening.

But yeah, also what SkiOtter said. Contact the admissions people themselves and ask. We on SDN are good with general questions, but for the most part you’re going to find the most accurate answer from the specific school by contacting them yourself! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that asking specific schools or searching their websites is best. That being said, it seems most schools want the majority of your prerequisites to be in school, not online. There are exceptions of course, but I would start considering your scheduling. Some people end up just delaying their graduation so that they can register more easily for these courses at their current institution. Some people will take them at a community college but again, best to check with schools if they will accept CC credits.

Most places will accept a class or two if taken online. I did my biochem prerequisite online through Colorado State a few summers ago, and it wasn’t awful. But as mentioned, you usually can’t take ALL your prereqs online. You’ll also have to consider that it will be significantly more expensive to do so in most instances.

I went to TAMU for undergrad and graduate school. They accepted my physics 2 class that I took online at Western Texas College, so it's definitely within the realm of possibilities. I'd agree with everyone else here and double check with Yolanda about genetics and biochemistry online though. This may be helpful to you in finding courses that TAMU recognizes as equivalent to BICH 410 and GENE 302/320 Texas A&M University - Transfer Course Equivalency System .

For TAMU, you can apply as a non-degree seeking student after you graduate and take classes to meet your prerequisites. I actually think you will have a pretty OK chance at getting a seat in your desired class time as your classification will still be higher than that of a senior, so you should have an earlier registration time. I'd look into double checking that though if you're interested at taking those classes at TAMU.

Reactions: 1 user
What vet schools don't like online science classes? I haven't found any that list so on their website.

What vet schools don't like online science classes? I haven't found any that list so on their website.
Some, such as OKState, require certain ones to be done at a 4 year university. Always pay attention to any asterisks beside required classes for foot notes on what is accepted. One should always check with the individual schools anyway to make sure that the online science course, especially if a lab is needed, meets the requirements.

Thanks. I am doing some online classes through my 4-year, so that is good to know. Do you know of any other vet schools besides OKstate which don't allow virtual labs?

Thanks. I am doing some online classes through my 4-year, so that is good to know. Do you know of any other vet schools besides OKstate which don't allow virtual labs?

I'm going to guess the majority of them don't allow virtual labs, but your best source of information on that would be to contact each individual school.

I think (hopefully) at least UMN does. As one of the course options they list (for those coming from undergrad at UMN) for physics is a completely online lecture and lab, both I and II.

I think (hopefully) at least UMN does. As one of the course options they list (for those coming from undergrad at UMN) for physics is a completely online lecture and lab, both I and II.

That's possible, but again, your best bet is to contact each school's admissions office directly and ask.

Last year I asked about UMN for biochem and was told it wasn't rigorous enough. I resubmitted the syllabus for University of Florida distance online medical biochem and it was accepted. It was, however, incredibly difficult.

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile

Vombatidae: To which vet school? OKstate?

Yep. I took their physics 2 class with lab entirely online and went to umn so they definitely accepted it as of my class.

Last year I asked about UMN for biochem and was told it wasn't rigorous enough. I resubmitted the syllabus for University of Florida distance online medical biochem and it was accepted. It was, however, incredibly difficult.

So I took umn online biochem and it was fine for them (again back for c/o 17 so things could have changed)

So I took umn online biochem and it was fine for them (again back for c/o 17 so things could have changed)
Perhaps. I submitted it to Yolanda and it went through academic review before being rejected due to lack of rigor. It took about 2 weeks before they approved the UF course. Just my experience from last summer though.

Perhaps. I submitted it to Yolanda and it went through academic review before being rejected due to lack of rigor. It took about 2 weeks before they approved the UF course. Just my experience from last summer though.

I should clarify, it was fine for UMN, UW-Mad, and Oregon when I applied. Idk about the other schools