Looking for some gracious feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veniviediavicii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well. Just looking for some feedback from my fellow peers on schools to apply and my respected chances. I am a California native 23 y.o. male that is also recent Cal Poly SLO graduate in Kinesiology B.S. with a Biological Science Minor.

My Hard Stats:

Overall Collegiate GPA: 3.863
Cal Poly SLO GPA: 3.919
Science GPA: 3.9+ (Haven't calculated exactly, but I am positive it is higher than a 3.9)
MCAT: 27R (BS: 11, PS: 8, VR: 8) :(:(:( :(:(:(:(

I have no idea what the hell happened on my MCAT... I was repping 30-33 on the seven Berkley practice CBTs... I really don't want to take it again... especially since the latest I can take it it is May 23, 2013 in California... but anyways....

My ECs and Experiences:
I am a medical assistant for an Endocrinologist (D.O.) since late March 2012 that has resulted in a blossoming knowledge of insurances, the D.O. profession itself, medical office policies and shadowing.

I have an estimated 600 hours of Cancer Research experience in the Charles Drew University/UCLA undergraduate research program working on HER2 over-expressing breast cancer cells that hopefully will result in a publication.

I have 40hrs of volunteering in an adapted paddling program for individuals with disabilities and I am beginning to work in a homeless shelter this weekend for the foreseeable future.

I was very involved in an on campus club called PolyFIT where we conducted Body Composition Testing and advocated healthy lifestyles for the SLO community. I served as a "group leader" for 8 consecutive quarters and was elected to the Advertising Chair.

Finally, I served as the Desk Manager for one of the Residential Halls on campus in which I had 10 employees under my direction.

Just looking for some honest opinions on applying to some of the top DO schools, most specifically LECOM-Erie, Branderton, Western and DMU. I was even thinking of applying this late in the 2013 cycle for LECOM, but am still painfully deciding if it is worth it...

I figured my MCAT puts me out of serious contention for MD schools, and plus I have kind of taken a proactive interest in the DO side of things with their ability to have some extra treatment options.

Any advice is appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Best wishes all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing well. Just looking for some feedback from my fellow peers on schools to apply and my respected chances. I am a California native 23 y.o. male that is also recent Cal Poly SLO graduate in Kinesiology B.S. with a Biological Science Minor.

My Hard Stats:

Science GPA: 3.9+ (Haven't calculated exactly, but I am positive it is higher than a 3.9)

I have no idea what the hell happened on my MCAT... I was repping 30-33 on the seven Berkley practice CBTs... I really don't want to take it again... especially since the latest I can take it it is May 23, 2013 in California... but anyways....

My ECs and Experiences:
I am a medical assistant for an Endocrinologist (D.O.) since late March 2012 that has resulted in a blossoming knowledge of insurances, the D.O. profession itself, medical office policies and shadowing.

I have an estimated 600 hours of Cancer Research experience in the Charles Drew University/UCLA undergraduate research program working on HER2 over-expressing breast cancer cells that hopefully will result in a publication.

I have 40hrs of volunteering in an adapted paddling program for individuals with disabilities and I am beginning to work in a homeless shelter this weekend for the foreseeable future.

I was very involved in an on campus club called PolyFIT where we conducted Body Composition Testing and advocated healthy lifestyles for the SLO community. I served as a "group leader" for 8 consecutive quarters and was elected to the Advertising Chair.

Finally, I served as the Desk Manager for one of the Residential Halls on campus in which I had 10 employees under my direction.

Just looking for some honest opinions on applying to some of the top DOs schools, most specifically LECOM-Erie, Branderton, Western and DMU. I was even thinking of applying this late in the 2013 cycle for LECOM, but am still painfully deciding if it is worth it...

Best wishes all.

It might be too late to apply now...Wait for next cycle and you will be competitive for almost all DO schools.

If you're GPA isn't because of grade recalculation then I am very surprised that you didn't get a bite anywhere for MD.

But with those stats and that MCAT score, I would say your only shot now is just applying to lower level DO schools who might squeeze you in. You can try upper level DO schools, but it will definitely be an uphill battle (especially since you still have to be verified and send in all your stuff). But if you have the money, you have nothing to lose.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're GPA isn't because of grade recalculation then I am very surprised that you didn't get a bite anywhere for MD.

But with those stats and that MCAT score, I would say your only shot now is just applying to lower level DO schools who might squeeze you in. You can try upper level DO schools, but it will definitely be an uphill battle (especially since you still have to be verified and send in all your stuff). But if you have the money, you have nothing to lose.

Thanks for the responses. Forgive me, I have no idea what grade recalculation is, so I don't think that was done in reporting my GPAs. I simply am reporting off my unofficial transcripts.

I didn't bite MD because I took my MCAT in August and got the scores in September so it was much too late into that cycle. Not to mention, I was discouraged that I got a 27, so I figured there wasn't much hope anyways for MDs (especially in the infamous state of California).

AACOMAs (DO school application) allows you to replace a grade of a retake (for instance, a C- can be replace with an A if you retake the same class.)

In my opinion, with such an amazing GPA, I would just wait until next cycle and apply very broadly for MD and retake the MCAT. Look for school with lower GPA/MCAT and that accept OOS people or maybe you will score high enough for California.

Why not retake the MCAT?

Although that seems like the most logical choice, I am hesitant and discouraged. I really have no reason why I did poorly the first go around... especially in Physics where I dominated during undergrad. I haven't abandoned the thought of a redo, but it would unfortunately have to be until right before AMCAS and AACOMAS open in May because the only remaining test date in California that I can find is May 23rd, 2013.

If I am considering DO schools more seriously, would my 27R suffice for "top of the line" DO schools in 2014 rotation? Although who REALLY knows which DO schools are truly "top of the line" anyway...

Last edited:
Although that seems like the most logical choice, I am hesitant and discouraged. I really have no reason why I did poorly the first go around... especially in Physics where I dominated during undergrad. I haven't abandoned the thought of a redo, but it would unfortunately have to be until right before AMCAS and AACOMAS open in May because the only remaining test date in California that I can find is May 23rd, 2013.

If I am considering DO schools more seriously, would my 27R suffice for "top of the line" DO schools in 2014 rotation? Although who REALLY knows which DO schools are truly "top of the line" anyway...

For sure, you'll be a shoe in for some Top DO schools with those stats. Just work on EC's your year off. If you're set on DO then I would say don't send your applications in this year and wait until next year.

If you are dead set on D.O. I think a 27 would keep you competitive.

It just seems like a person with >3.9 GPA should be able to do better on the MCAT, no offense. If you don't mind, could you tell me how you prepared for the MCAT last time?

Also, I really don't think a may 23rd test date is too late. You'd get your score back in April, before primaries are even released, right?

If you are dead set on D.O. I think a 27 would keep you competitive.

It just seems like a person with >3.9 GPA should be able to do better on the MCAT, no offense. If you don't mind, could you tell me how you prepared for the MCAT last time?

Also, I really don't think a may 23rd test date is too late. You'd get your score back in April, before primaries are even released, right?

I agree with you that I should have done better because I never got lower than an A- in any of my science classes (Bio, Microbio, Ochem, Chem, Phys). I was very frustrated when I got my score, even though I know I kind of panicked during the Phys section and ran out of time. Verbal reasoning I ranged from an 8-10 in practice tests because I am slow reader and often had to rush, so I am only slightly surprised by my Verbal score. Bio was very straightforward so I am content with 11, although I was thinking it could have just have easily been an 12 or 13.

I strictly used Berkley Review for my preparation, using all their books and their 7 practice CBTs (of which my low was a 30 and my high was a 33 using their scale). I started studying hardcore in the early/mid June and I took the exam August 10th. As I mentioned, I do have job in which I work 25-30 hours a week as a medical assistant, so that definitely got in the way. I know I didn't do horrible on the MCAT (55-60th percentile according to AAMC), but I obviously think I was capable of higher. I just am extremely worried on the off chance of doing worse and also not having the solid opportunity to focus on studying as I am trying to strengthen my EC's by continuing to work as an MA, volunteering at a homeless shelter and trying to get into a hospital somewhere.

Also, I think you mean June* not April, for getting scores back if I re-take the exam in May.

last year, my friend who interviewed at lecom-erie in march got accepted off the waitlist. your stats would get you an intvw there and they intvw till april or may. just look at the past thread and see how many got accepted from intvws in feb/march. I feel like ur chances r gud but look around before you make a decision.

I agree with you that I should have done better because I never got lower than an A- in any of my science classes (Bio, Microbio, Ochem, Chem, Phys). I was very frustrated when I got my score, even though I know I kind of panicked during the Phys section and ran out of time. Verbal reasoning I ranged from an 8-10 in practice tests because I am slow reader and often had to rush, so I am only slightly surprised by my Verbal score. Bio was very straightforward so I am content with 11, although I was thinking it could have just have easily been an 12 or 13.

I strictly used Berkley Review for my preparation, using all their books and their 7 practice CBTs (of which my low was a 30 and my high was a 33 using their scale). I started studying hardcore in the early/mid June and I took the exam August 10th. As I mentioned, I do have job in which I work 25-30 hours a week as a medical assistant, so that definitely got in the way. I know I didn't do horrible on the MCAT (55-60th percentile according to AAMC), but I obviously think I was capable of higher. I just am extremely worried on the off chance of doing worse and also not having the solid opportunity to focus on studying as I am trying to strengthen my EC's by continuing to work as an MA, volunteering at a homeless shelter and trying to get into a hospital somewhere.

Also, I think you mean June* not April, for getting scores back if I re-take the exam in May.

Yeah, I think if you did some dedicated prep time of 2 months without working or taking minimal classes you could do better. Also, I liked Berekley Review for physics and chem but the other subjects were garbage, imho.

I also took some the TBR's practice tests and I felt like they didn't mirror the test. The AAMC practice tests are your best bet to experience how the MCAT will be.

You're right about when you'd get your score back. June will still absolutely not be late.

It sounds like you don't want to retake it and would rather do EC's. That's fine. If you're doing the EC's strictly for personal enjoyment and self-fulfillment then I am 100% with you. If you are doing those EC's mostly to get into medical school then just drop most of them and study for the MCAT. The MCAT, as you probably know, will count 10x more than any EC.

The only thing I have to say about going DO is just know you will be limited in what specialities you apply to. If you're OK with the prospects of most likely being a primary care doc or maybe general surg, then no problems. Just something to think about.

Quit fussing, you're fine for any DO school, and even some allos'. You just need to do some research to find the ones that would be friendliest to you with a MCAT of <30. You might need some more patient contact experience too.

My Hard Stats:

My ECs and Experiences:

Just looking for some honest opinions on applying to some of the top DO schools, most specifically LECOM-Erie, Branderton, Western and DMU. I was even thinking of applying this late in the 2013 cycle for LECOM, but am still painfully deciding if it is worth it...

I figured my MCAT puts me out of serious contention for MD schools, and plus I have kind of taken a proactive interest in the DO side of things with their ability to have some extra treatment options.

Best wishes all.

Yeah, I think if you did some dedicated prep time of 2 months without working or taking minimal classes you could do better. Also, I liked Berekley Review for physics and chem but the other subjects were garbage, imho.

I also took some the TBR's practice tests and I felt like they didn't mirror the test. The AAMC practice tests are your best bet to experience how the MCAT will be.

You're right about when you'd get your score back. June will still absolutely not be late.

It sounds like you don't want to retake it and would rather do EC's. That's fine. If you're doing the EC's strictly for personal enjoyment and self-fulfillment then I am 100% with you. If you are doing those EC's mostly to get into medical school then just drop most of them and study for the MCAT. The MCAT, as you probably know, will count 10x more than any EC.

The only thing I have to say about going DO is just know you will be limited in what specialities you apply to. If you're OK with the prospects of most likely being a primary care doc or maybe general surg, then no problems. Just something to think about.

Yeah, ironically I felt the same way about the TBR but I did pretty awful in the physical science portion. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on new/more review materials or practice tests which is another reason why I don't want to take the MCAT because I got bills to pay and I will probably drop a pretty penny on applications. The EC's are free, rewarding, and I think they are extremely important to attribute the wholeness of the individual applicant. I hate that schools judge you so freaking hard off one test that IMO has no indication of how good of physician you'll be... but I probably would be think the opposite if I rocked it too. That's just the way life is I guess.

As for the limited specialty of DOs, I agree with you... although I do work for an Endocrinologist that is a DO. I think for the most part I want to practice Internal Medicine at this point, and if I were to specialize it would be Cardiology. I would like to stay out of a career in Family Practice if I can help it...not that there is anything against it. One thing I am pretty sure about is that I want to work in a hospital.

Thanks for the tough love Goro haha. Don't mean to be fussy. And thanks for thinking I'm pretty good for all the DOs and a few MDs... I've been trying to find some of those MDs that are okay with <30 MCAT since I got my score. I'll continue to do that.

you should get a copy of MSAR and look at MCAT ranges, you will find some schools that have MCAT scores of 22-25 in their 10th percentile. Rosalind Franklin is one example

you have a very high GPA so I don't think you are out of the running for MD.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's nice to know that some of you guys do not think I have to completely give up on MD schools. I really wish I could get into a California med school, but for that I almost certainly need to retake the MCAT and get a higher score.

I definitely buy into the Osteopathic philosophy though if that's the way I should go. I am strong believer that MDs and DOs are equal, and while DOs have some stigma associated with them because they are "easier" to get into and some people of have never heard of them, I still think it can result in a very successful and pleasing career. I haven't decided for sure yet if I am going to retake the MCAT, but I'm glad my hard work in my undergrad has paid off to the point where it at least gives me a small chance at some MDs.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and words of wisdom. Especially to those that have been in similar situations. As always, more advice is appreciated, but I am definitely please from the feedback that I have received.

Thank you.