1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Looking for work until school starts

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SavoirFaire, Aug 12, 2011.

1. SavoirFaire

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So I'm looking for work basically until I start school next year. I figure a healthcare related job would be ideal. It's what I want to do, although I don't have the certifications/degree for some of the positions.

I have a B.S. in Psychology. What kind of work could I do with a B.S.? What are you doing until school starts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nicknickp3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    stay at home son

4. DrWily

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ^ lol.

I'm working some dead end data entry job right now just to pay some bills.

Trying to get into an EMT position but competition is fierce here in San Diego. Don't know if it would look good if I got an EMT job, then quit like 6-8 months later. Probably won't care cuz if i quit, that means I got into D.O. School :D

5. FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    nothing valuable. if you want to do healthcare, you are only qualified for a patient transporter (some may require a CNA). otherwise I would forget about healthcare and just get a good paying job to save some money.

6. ILikeDrugs

ILikeDrugs pre-attending
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You can get a job as an autism behavior therapist. It usually requires a BA in psychology or other related field most of the time. Some accept people with a high school diploma. The starting pay here in CA is $13-15/hour. You can get anywhere from 20-40 hours per week. Check craigslist for openings in your area.

7. Beandog

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have looked high and low and I find that I can't make anything over $10/hr. So I volunteer as an EMT at the fire dept and make my $$ other ways.

That may change, but without being an RN or higher, forget about making money as an EMT or CNA. It's just not there.

8. nicknickp3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It depends on what ones definition of what good money is. I'm a part time cna and i make 10 dollars an hour. I have friends in Houston/Corpus that make 14-15 full time.

9. ktran17

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just tutor. I charge like 25$/hr here in socal.

10. nicknickp3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Think op wanted healthcare related job. Cna cert=2 weeks

11. ILikeDrugs

ILikeDrugs pre-attending
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    EKG tech program is about $200 and takes about a week. However, those jobs are difficult to come by from what I've seen.

12. nicknickp3

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was getting cna job offers while I was still in the class.

13. JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm an emt in LA county and it kind of sucks unless you're lucky enough to get a 911 job. I'm pretty much a medical taxi getting paid less than an in n out worker. However, my job is flexible enough where I can just take time off.

14. emtthink

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm an EMT in Oregon. But the thing to consider is the amount of time it takes to get a certification vs the number of jobs that are available. There are not very many EMT jobs out there right now, and depending on where you are, you will likely be stuck doing transfers, as most systems are dual medic. I am lucky that our system runs medic, basic cars. This has allowed me to have 3 years of 911 system experience.