"Looking" like a Surgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEEDLE DRIVER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been through almost every third-year clerkship thus far and when attendings have asked me (regardless of specialty) what specialty I'm thinking of going into and I always reply with surgery (unlike some of my classmates who find it fitting to blatantly lie and have coincidentally found their new passion for family medicine for example because a FM attending is inquiring.) Almost always I have gotten the response of "yeah, you look like a surgeon" (said in some condescending tone)

What does that mean? I mean I didn't know a surgeon had a "look." Why do so many non-surgical attendings have beef with surgeons. I realize there are a few bad apples out there but still. It's pretty annoying if you ask me. Just my .02.

Members don't see this ad.

Focused, goal-oriented, being "to the point" to (occasionally) appearing brusque to bleeding heart types.

In much of medicine, people in one camp actively disdain people in the other, and, besides trying to recruit for their cause, negatively advertise for the other.

Why do so many non-surgical attendings have beef with surgeons.

They really should be professional with you. If not, you'll understand the inescapable reality that a lot of them are a bunch of insecure douchebags, especially the pediatrons. You'll find that out when you become a doctor. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably pissed off and tired would be my first thought.

That sucks, but it's worse to be met with "wow, surgery? Really? You look like derm to me!" Followed by a condescending laugh.

I turn red with fury, like in a cartoon of the old school.

That sucks, but it's worse to be met with "wow, surgery? Really? You look like derm to me!" Followed by a condescending laugh.

Wow, an even bigger compliment!

12+stereotypes+panel+09.jpg

Does it have anything to do with this?

Ahhh....that's good, as I always often get the "you look like a Plastic Surgeon or Derm" comment myself.
Wait a minute, are people saying this to you because they think you're too hawt for general surgery or because you're smart? Cuz I've been told I'd make a good psychiatrist because I know "how to talk to people". What's that supposed to mean?

Tuff your hair, don't wear makeup or jewery, and stop sleeping.

And don't worry, next year you'll look like a surgical intern...

From day 1 of med school people told me I'd go into peds because of how I look. I'm doing neurosurg, but plan to specialize in peds, so it's not totally off!

Every medical student I have met has been told they "look" like a certain speciality. The quirky, goofy guy or motherly/caring type get assigned peds, the adhd/fidgety types seem to get EM, the pretty blonde is told derm etc. I'm a 6'5" guy that seems to get asked about how much I bench every other day. You can figure out which speciality people think I look like...

Around here, "you look like a neurologist" means you look Indian.

Every medical student I have met has been told they "look" like a certain specialty. The quirky, goofy guy or motherly/caring type get assigned peds, the adhd/fidgety types seem to get EM, the pretty blonde is told derm etc. I'm a 6'5" guy that seems to get asked about how much I bench every other day. You can figure out which specialty people think I look like...

12%2Bstereotypes

Rite? Amirite?

Every medical student I have met has been told they "look" like a certain speciality. The quirky, goofy guy or motherly/caring type get assigned peds, the adhd/fidgety types seem to get EM, the pretty blonde is told derm etc. I'm a 6'5" guy that seems to get asked about how much I bench every other day. You can figure out which speciality people think I look like...

Ha! We had one of you guys in my med school class. He was like 6'13". Everyone KNEW he was Ortho all the way. When you asked him, he'd very matter-of-fact-ly tell you, "Breasts"...

Now that's the kind of honesty/straightforwardness I like :thumbup:

He matched plastics and is totally doing a recon/aesthetic breast fellowship afterwards ala Dr. Rey.

sorry, I meant to say "Dr" Rey(es).