Looking to Apply Next Cycle, School List?: 3.8 cGPA, 513 MCAT, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brown_skin_girl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
removed for privacy

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Start list with WashU and radiate outwards Any med school is yours. Also have IU, and the HBCs (including UCLA/Drew on your list). MCG and Mercer seem to be quite picky about GA residency, so they may not be optimal choices. Definitely include Emory

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Washington University
St. Louis
Baylor
USC Keck
Kaiser
Tulane
Miami
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Boston University

Members don't see this ad :)
Start list with WashU and radiate outwards Any med school is yours. Also have IU, and the HBCs (including UCLA/Drew on your list). MCG and Mercer seem to be quite picky about GA residency, so they may not be optimal choices. Definitely include Emory

Thank you, @Goro for your insight, I really appreciate it. Thanks for letting me know about MCG and Mercer. Hope you are staying safe!

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Washington University
St. Louis
Baylor
USC Keck
Kaiser
Tulane
Miami
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Brown
Harvard
Boston University

Thank you, @Faha, I appreciate this list. Hope you are staying safe. I'm not questioning your expertise, but I was under the impression that schools like Harvard and Vanderbilt were out of my league stats wise. What made you suggest those schools?

Thank you, @Faha, I appreciate this list. Hope you are staying safe. I'm not questioning your expertise, but I was under the impression that schools like Harvard and Vanderbilt were out of my league stats wise. What made you suggest those schools?
URM doctors are greatly needed!

Reactions: 1 user
The African American applicant pool is small. Within that small applicant pool there only ~120 applicants per year that apply with a GPA above 3.6 AND a MCAT score of 512 or higher. There are only 150 MD schools and they are all competing for those 120 applicants. Even if all of those applicants went to top 30 schools there would only be 4 matriculating at each top 30 school. So if Harvard or Vanderbilt want some diversity in their class they need to interview you.

Reactions: 1 users
The African American applicant pool is small. Within that small applicant pool there only ~120 applicants per year that apply with a GPA above 3.6 AND a MCAT score of 512 or higher. There are only 150 MD schools and they are all competing for those 120 applicants. Even if all of those applicants went to top 30 schools there would only be 4 matriculating at each top 30 school. So if Harvard or Vanderbilt want some diversity in their class they need to interview you.

Thank you for responding and breaking down the math. This perspective gives me hope.

Hi, @Goro and @Faha. Just following up months after your initial responses. I have spent some time researching mission and fit and have come up with a list of 23 schools. Whenever you have a moment, would you mind reviewing the list just to make sure I am applying broadly/not too top heavy? Also, as an update: working with underserved patients living with HIV during my glide year.

Indiana (state school)
UMich
UChicago/Pritzker
Rush
WashU
Ohio State
Einstein
Icahn (Mt Sinai)
Cornell
Brown
Tufts
Rochester
Yale
Harvard
Columbia
Morehouse
Emory
Meharry
Duke
UMiami (Miller)
Vanderbilt
UCLA/Drew + PRIME
UCLA
UCSF + PRIME
USC (Keck)

OP if it means anything I know someone with mcat similar to yours and far lower gpa who got into HMS this cycle and as others have said on here there are only so many URM applicants and schools have to fight for them especially black/AA. You miss all the shots you don’t take. My pre health advisors recommended I not apply to the “top” MD schools due to my low gpas <3.6 despite a high mcat 520+. Got multiple acceptances with merit at t20s. Shoot your shot!

Reactions: 2 users
OP if it means anything I know someone with mcat similar to yours and far lower gpa who got into HMS this cycle and as others have said on here there are only so many URM applicants and schools have to fight for them especially black/AA. You miss all the shots you don’t take. My pre health advisors recommended I not apply to the “top” MD schools due to my low gpas <3.6 despite a high mcat 520+. Got multiple acceptances with merit at t20s. Shoot your shot!
Wow, it is nice to finally "meet" you virtually through one of these posts, Mr.Blackdoc.5! Congrats on your successful cycle! I have always seen you around, and I appreciate your insightful and thoughtful comments. Thank you for your comment. Honestly, when I logged onto SDN today, I was scared of the upcoming cycle, especially given my school list, but your comment really helped me to feel a bit more confident. Thank you again!

Wow, it is nice to finally "meet" you virtually through one of these posts, Mr.Blackdoc.5! Congrats on your successful cycle! I have always seen you around, and I appreciate your insightful and thoughtful comments. Thank you for your comment. Honestly, when I logged onto SDN today, I was scared of the upcoming cycle, especially given my school list, but your comment really helped me to feel a bit more confident. Thank you again!
Good luck! Rooting for you. One thing is certain - you won't have a chance of getting into a school you don't apply to, so if you have the money it's worth the chance! That "what if" feeling can be a killer.

Just coming back to this thread at the near end of my cycle. This advice was incredibly helpful as I received interviews and was accepted to many schools this cycle. Thank you @Faha and @Goro

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Let us know where you decide. Connect with us... it would be neat to hear your story summarized to share with applicants coming up for the next cycle. (Message me if you want to do this.)