WAMC/School List: URM? (MCAT: 514 , cGPA: 3.99)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TacoMood

Reaction score
Hello

I am applying this upcoming cycle and would appreciate any feedback or advice. I graduated college in May.

• GPA: cGPA: 3.99 ; sGPA: 4.00
  • MCAT: 514 127/126/130/131
  • Residence: FL resident
  • ORM/URM: Puerto Rican; born in mainland US, both parents born and raised in Puerto Rico; I believe this is URM
  • Undergraduate Institution: Public University in Florida
  • Clinical Experience: 389 hours
  • Medical Scribe for Family Medicine Practice, paid: 50 hours
  • Medical Scribe for Physiatrist, paid: 315 hours currently
  • Hospital Volunteer (ER and Inpatient Medical Floor): 24 hours currently (do 8 hours weekly)
  • Research Experience: 650 hours
  • Summer Research Program. Included poster at end of program. Around 300 hours.
  • Another Summer Research Program. Presentation of findings. Abstract sent to a conference and was presented as a podium presentation (not presented by me). Around 350 hours.
  • Shadowing: 86 hours
  • 86 hours of various specialties, including internal medicine
  • Non Clinical Volunteer: 217 hours
  • All for the same organization. Works with those who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
  • Started off as regular volunteer (checking temps of people living in their residence halls, serving food during lunch, or organizing clothes in their thrift shop) = 60 hours
  • Volunteer Leader (during the holidays). Have done this every holiday season since 2020. Organize and help families get toys for their children during the holidays. 145 hours.
  • Volunteer Leader (Food and Clothing). Give out food and clothing to families in need. Just started. 12 hours (only do it 3 hours a week).
  • Other extracurricular activities
  • Pickleball. Started playing this January and have been playing 2-3 times a week
  • Relevant honors or awards.
  • Phi Betta Kappa
  • Deans List
  • Honors Program
  • Recommendation Letters:
  • 1 science professor (trying to get one more); 1 non science professor; 2 MD letters; Head of the holiday volunteering I did
  • Anything else not listed
  • I am currently studying to take the SIELE before applications. I am going to the C1 level for the exam. For many of the things I listed, I translate or speak to people in Spanish. This is something important for me and something I will continue in the future.
Potential Schools:

• USF
  • UCF
  • UF
  • FAU
  • UM
  • FSU
  • FIU
  • Tulane
  • Emory
  • University of South Carolina Columbia
  • University of South Carolina Greenville
  • Duke
  • Wake Forest
  • Eastern Virginia
  • Virginia Commonwealth
  • Virginia Tech
  • University of Maryland
  • Drexel
  • Temple
  • Thomas Jefferson
  • Rutgers, New Jersey
  • Rutgers, Robert Wood Johnson
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
  • Hackensack Meridian
  • George Washington
  • Georgetown
  • Albert Einstein
  • Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
  • New York Medical College
  • Boston University
  • Tufts
  • Mayo
Are there any gaps in my application or anything I need to work on? Looking for areas I need to improve before I apply. I want to make sure I do everything I can to only apply once.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The South Carolina and New Jersey state public schools admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add any of these schools to your application:
Dartmouth
Brown
Hofstra
Columbia
Cornell
Jefferson
Northwestern
UCSF

Where in Florida did you grow up?

Connect with LMSA to the schools you want to attend. You sound like you are going to be a strong candidate provided you align with mission fit. You have a chance to pick a very good school on the list above (the top brands like Duke being a stretch but you never know without doing your networking).

Members don't see this ad :)
The South Carolina and New Jersey state public schools admit few non residents with no connection to the state. You could add any of these schools to your application:
Dartmouth
Brown
Hofstra
Columbia
Cornell
Jefferson
Northwestern
UCSF
Ok thank you! I’ll take out public schools from those states and add the schools from your list. I appreciate the help!

Where in Florida did you grow up?

Connect with LMSA to the schools you want to attend. You sound like you are going to be a strong candidate provided you align with mission fit. You have a chance to pick a very good school on the list above (the top brands like Duke being a stretch but you never know without doing your networking).
I grew up in Tampa Bay.

How would I go about connecting with the LMSA of the schools I am interested in? When I look up LMSA for a specific school, would I contact them and ask them about their medical school and ask for advice about admissions to that school?

I grew up in Tampa Bay.

How would I go about connecting with the LMSA of the schools I am interested in? When I look up LMSA for a specific school, would I contact them and ask them about their medical school and ask for advice about admissions to that school?
National: PLUS Network – The Latino Medical Student Association . Email the mentoring contact (at the bottom of the page) for suggestions.

Also search the LMSA page to see if their national leadership has students from schools on your list and reach out to them. You can also search the social media web for LMSA chapter pages and message them.