Looking WAY into the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfinpanda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I just had a question regarding interviews, acceptances, and withdraws.

Say we get an interview to a few schools, but we try to hold off on a couple just to see if we get an early acceptance to the first school we applied to (main concern would be airfare money here). Would this hurt us for the two schools we hold off on because we dont interview as soon as possible?

Also how do withdraws exactly work? Do people usually withdraw before or after interviews?

Finally if we do get accepted how long do they give us to pay the downpayment? A scenario would be if we get accepted to a school that was not my first choice but our first choice school has not given a response yet. Can we wait for a long time to pay the downpayment to the school who gave us an acceptance letter first or is there some sort of time limit?

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

definitely interested in hearing an answer for these questions as well!

1. probably. i wouldn't suggest doing this, unless you're an extremely strong applicant. waiting even a few weeks to schedule an interview could mean the difference between an interview in oct vs. dec. remember, some schools only interview once or twice a week.

2. withdraw whenever you want. most do it after an acceptance or before an interview, assuming they've already gotten in somewhere else

3. accepted in dec - 45 days to pay up. january - 30 days. february - 15 days. you get the idea

Members don't see this ad :)
1. probably. i wouldn't suggest doing this, unless you're an extremely strong applicant. waiting even a few weeks to schedule an interview could mean the difference between an interview in oct vs. dec. remember, some schools only interview once or twice a week.

2. withdraw whenever you want. most do it after an acceptance or before an interview, assuming they've already gotten in somewhere else

3. accepted in dec - 45 days to pay up. january - 30 days. february - 15 days. you get the idea

Okay so regarding question #3, the earlier you get accepted the more time you have to pay the downpayment? Hopefully all of my potential acceptances come in at the same time; otherwise wouldn't it be unfair to give a limited time to decide when another school hasn't even reached a decision yet? Thieves!!!

Okay so regarding question #3, the earlier you get accepted the more time you have to pay the downpayment? Hopefully all of my potential acceptances come in at the same time; otherwise wouldn't it be unfair to give a limited time to decide when another school hasn't even reached a decision yet? Thieves!!!

exactly. this is why most people want to interview before dec 1, in turn making it important to get your app in early and interview as soon as possible.

exactly. this is why most people want to interview before dec 1, in turn making it important to get your app in early and interview as soon as possible.

But even if you interview early, and get the early acceptance for one school, then wouldn't you get less time to make a decision to downpay before getting acceptances from other schools?

what's going to suck is if your target schools don't give you an acceptance/rejection until later on in the year while the other schools have accepted you on december first... hopefully that doesn't happen

another question regarding the "future"...If you get accepted, do all schools allow you the option to defer your matriculation a year?

But even if you interview early, and get the early acceptance for one school, then wouldn't you get less time to make a decision to downpay before getting acceptances from other schools?

yea, that's why you hear of people putting down multiple deposits at multiple schools.

another question regarding the "future"...If you get accepted, do all schools allow you the option to defer your matriculation a year?

not sure, probably depends on the school but i'm leaning towards no

Most schools do NOT allow you to defer admission. At one school I was offered to defer admission by the dean but I declined, it depends on your circumstance. Generally though they don't like to because they know many people will be on the waitlist that will want your seat.

Last edited:
Ugh that's so gnarly. Do you know how much deposits average around?

yea, that's why you hear of people putting down multiple deposits at multiple schools.

not sure, probably depends on the school but i'm leaning towards no

Multiple deposits may seem like a lot right now, but it's nothing compared to the cost of 4 years of dental school. Airfare to multiple dental schools will be pretty insignificant in the long run as well. If you get into some expensive private schools on Dec 1st and then later get into your significantly cheaper state school it may be worth it in the long run to loose the deposit. I'd definitely pay a few grand now if it meant that I would have $100k less of debt in 4 years.

Even if you go the multiple deposit route you will have to make up your mind by I think mid april. At that time AADSAS will disclose to the schools where else you put down deposits so there is no hiding it.

Like someone else already said, take this as a lesson to get your application and test scores in on time so you can get an early interview and hopefully have several schools to choose from on Dec 1st.

Hey guys.

I just had a question regarding interviews, acceptances, and withdraws.

Say we get an interview to a few schools, but we try to hold off on a couple just to see if we get an early acceptance to the first school we applied to (main concern would be airfare money here). Would this hurt us for the two schools we hold off on because we dont interview as soon as possible?

Also how do withdraws exactly work? Do people usually withdraw before or after interviews?

Finally if we do get accepted how long do they give us to pay the downpayment? A scenario would be if we get accepted to a school that was not my first choice but our first choice school has not given a response yet. Can we wait for a long time to pay the downpayment to the school who gave us an acceptance letter first or is there some sort of time limit?

Cheers!

I think it would hurt if you tried to delay your interview at a school, because it signifies your lack of interest in their school. Unless you pretty much got an interview at almost every school you applied to ( 7+), then it would not be wise to delay any interview until you get at least one acceptance.