looks like most of my prereqs cleared for PTA program

Started by clo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clo

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm talking to Allegheny College in Md about their PTA program. They've reviewed my transcripts and it appears I only need two courses. One is a psych course and the other is some sort of speech course which I thought i already had.

There is a question about my A&P since i took them in '98/'99. However since I've been in the personal training field since then they are looking to see if they can waive me retaking it.
 
Ha! well if I need your services I'll come looking.😀

just got a call from them yesterday. the PTA coordinator needs my job description so she can determine whether or not I need to retake A&P. (i took it in 98)

I can either email, fax or hard copy something over to them. Now just to get the creative juices flowing. Question is do I fight it or take it.

I mean I'm no rep counter in the gym and have a good understanding of muscle function, etc.....

as my wife says: "like our anatomy has changed in the last 10 years"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anything you could just take the musculoskeletal anatomy (bio 121) along with intro anatomy/phys (bio 201) this coming spring semester. That would be sufficient for the PTA program. The problem with this approach is most PT programs would be looking for the anat/physiology I and II w/ labs which is bio 207 and bio 208 at ACM. You could knock out two birds with one stone to take both bio 207 and 208 next semester and be able to utilize these if you wanted to pursue PT down the road. If not then maybe just doing the bio 121 and 201 to get the prereqs for the PTA program might be the better route. If you feel confident with the material it would be an easy grade.

The PTA program is pretty competitive so if you didn't get "As" in your A/P class earlier it may be a good idea to retake them anyway. I think last year they had something like 70 applications for 16 spots. Everything is based on a point system and the anatomy and math grades are counted the highest. The interview also has points associated with it so that will probably help you a good bit considering some of the students I know that are planning on applying have no freakin clue at all. Feel free to pm me for questions.