Loop of Henle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jo07

Dingo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone care to explain the Loop of Henle and why the descending branch is more concentrated but permeable to water and vice versa for the ascending loop?

I'm really confused.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my understanding.

Going down the loop on Henley, the membrane is permeable to water. Thus, water leaves leaving ions and other solutes. Going up the loop of henle, the membrane is permeable to ions and other solutes. Thus, ions and solutes leave. Because both water and solute have left, the concentration is still constant.

Hope that helps

Would anyone care to explain the Loop of Henle and why the descending branch is more concentrated but permeable to water and vice versa for the ascending loop?

I'm really confused.

Thanks!
descending loop - permeable to water...hence passive flow of water out of the tube which will make the urine more concetrated.

ascending loop - impermeable to water so no water movement, but active/passive movement of salts out of the tube...hence will make the urine more dilute

Then it (dilute) enters collecting tube..which has concentrated fluid surrounding it, hence osmosis occur higher conc (urine which is dilute) to lower conc (interstitial fluid which is conc).

Thus the urine that finally enters the pelvis is concentrated.

Thanks guys!

Maybe you can also answer this question...

Where do B-cells develop? Destroyer says fetal liver and spleen. Q 70 . But I was looking at other places that say B cells develop in bone marrow. Ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

Where do B-cells develop? Destroyer says fetal liver and spleen. Q 70 . But I was looking at other places that say B cells develop in bone marrow. Ideas?
bone marrow

Thanks guys!

B-cell develop in the liver and spleen in the fetus not in adult

Well, spoecifically blood in produced in the liver for fetus