Lopsided GPAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post-Bac programs tend to be geared either to students looking to remediate their poor pre-req grades from undergrad or to students who did well in undergrad but never took a science class. What about for a student who did poorly in undergrad but didn't take sciences? The reason I'm asking is because I'm acing my post-bac science courses right now and could be looking at a very lopsided 2.9 overall/ 3.9 science and I was pretty curious on how this makes me look as an applicant. Assuming I test well, that high science GPA encourages me to apply next app cycle and not worry so much about upping my overall average. Either that or I could continue chipping away into the 3.2-3.3 range - but I already have a pants-load of credits and that could take awhile. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Mack

Members don't see this ad.

wow what an interesting situation. lol, a 3.9 bcpm but 2.9 non science. i wonder what adcoms will think. they'll probably just let u in due to the rarity of your gpa breakdown.

If you talk to your state school about your situation and get a feel for what they think that might give you some insight.

usually post-bacc work (esp if sciences) and you're acing them that shows improvement. If you are a few years removed from undergrad this might help you improve your application as it shows maturity in school as well.

:luck:

mshheaddoc said:
If you talk to your state school about your situation and get a feel for what they think that might give you some insight.

usually post-bacc work (esp if sciences) and you're acing them that shows improvement. If you are a few years removed from undergrad this might help you improve your application as it shows maturity in school as well.

:luck:

That's what my premed advisor basically told me as well. I'm actually like the original poster, my science post bacc is in the 3.9 range but overall my GPA is 2.8'ish because of my undergrad scores.(2.3 for those that care.) Then again I guess I should be a little mature in my 30's :D Seriously though I hope my ludicrously high post bacc gpa plus my solid MCAT get me in. (My premed advisor even said my personal statement was good enough to make up for the paint based score for my WS on the MCAT.)