LOR - 2 different specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowhard

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question regarding letters of recommendation for ERAS.

I will be applying to dermatology, and my stats are pretty borderline. Anyway, I have decided to back-up with internal medicine should I not be accepted.

My question is, should I tell the writers of my LOR to re-write specific letters for each specialty? Or, is ok just to have a general letter of recommendation, not addressed to any particular specialty.

Also, are they supposed to write specific letters for the Prelim/transitional year? Im confused...

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I have a question regarding letters of recommendation for ERAS.

I will be applying to dermatology, and my stats are pretty borderline. Anyway, I have decided to back-up with internal medicine should I not be accepted.

My question is, should I tell the writers of my LOR to re-write specific letters for each specialty? Or, is ok just to have a general letter of recommendation, not addressed to any particular specialty.

Also, are they supposed to write specific letters for the Prelim/transitional year? Im confused...

Thank you

You could although some get irritated. The other problem is that 2 of your 3 (if not all 3) should ideally come from a dermatologist. Not such a great idea to ask for a LOR and then turn around and ask for a second copy for a backup program.

You could also ask for a generic letter of recommendation but that still invites questions.

You don't need separate letters for preliminary or transitional years.

You could although some get irritated. The other problem is that 2 of your 3 (if not all 3) should ideally come from a dermatologist. Not such a great idea to ask for a LOR and then turn around and ask for a second copy for a backup program.

You could also ask for a generic letter of recommendation but that still invites questions.

You don't need separate letters for preliminary or transitional years.

So, the writer should not write

"I recommend John for the dermatology program" but a more general statement like "I recommend John for your program"?

Thanks.. I hate this ****

So, the writer should not write

"I recommend John for the dermatology program" but a more general statement like "I recommend John for your program"?

Thanks.. I hate this ****

Yes but the problem is, all of my letter writers have asked what I was going in to in an attempt to "target" their letter.

You could certainly ask for it to remain generic but the letter writers will probably know then that you're applying for multiple fields with that letter.

You're going to need separate letters. In fact, you're going to need seperate letter writers.

For Derm, almost (if not all) of your letters should be from Dermatologists. This is esp true if your scores are borderline -- you'll need strong LOR's to counteract that.

For IM, ideally you won't use any Derm letters. We really won't care about your derm rotations, research, etc. Better to have a letter from your third year IM clerkship, 4th year SubI, Chair letter, and/or one of your other major clerkships (surgery, FM, OB, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
OK.

So, what about if I just decided to apply to derm, without back up.

Do I still need to have separate letters for the prelim year/transitional year? Or is the letter that is geared towards derm ok?

Thanks

OK.

So, what about if I just decided to apply to derm, without back up.

Do I still need to have separate letters for the prelim year/transitional year? Or is the letter that is geared towards derm ok?

Thanks

You don't need separate letters for a prelim or TY.

And I would highly recommend a backup for derm.

You don't need separate letters for a prelim or TY.

And I would highly recommend a backup for derm.

But, will it be ok if the the letters recommend me for a dermatology program? Is it acceptable for the letters to mention nothing about the prelim year?

Thanks again

Last edited:
But, will it be ok if the the letters recommend me for a radiology program? Is it acceptable for the letters to mention nothing about the prelim year?

Thanks again

? Are you applying for 3 fields now? Derm, rads, and IM??

? Are you applying for 3 fields now? Derm, rads, and IM??

Sorry Tippman.. I was confused - currently doing a rads rotation and got all messed up..

My question was if you need to tell the authors of the letters to address to the prelim program separately?? Because I assume the letters will speak highly of me as a future dermatologist, but don't mention anything about a TY/prelim year. So I'm wondering if I should ask them for specify on another letter that they recommend me for a prelim/ty year?

Derm letters will be fine for a prelim year. You might want to add a single medicine letter -- your chair letter, assuming your school creates one. This is a standardized letter that summarizes your third year and fourth year medicine rotations.

Derm letters will be fine for a prelim year. You might want to add a single medicine letter -- your chair letter, assuming your school creates one. This is a standardized letter that summarizes your third year and fourth year medicine rotations.

I know this is a comment on a 9 year old post, but I could really use your advice regarding this topic.

Some context before I ask my questions:

I am an International medical graduate applying for radiology and prelim/transitional. I have 4 prelim letters (1 from Dean of medical school, 1 from prog director of US hospital, 2 from US observership). I have 3 Radiology Letters from a US hospital institution i currently work in (I've been doing radiology research for > 2 years). I waived my right to view them, so I have not seen any of them but I am confident they are all very strong letters.

My questions:
1) Most prelim years want only 3 LORs. Is it acceptable to use 3 prelim med letters and 0 radiology? Im worried it could be a red flag that I don't have any radiology letter, but Id love for programs to know I can fulfill intern responsibilities from the examples provided in my medicine LORs. My radiology letter would only speak about my research and personal qualities (Although i've spent significant time with my radiology writers >2 years and Im sure there is abundant content).

2) I have a letter from a prog director whose program I'm applying. Is it appropriate not to use their letter and instead give perspective from other LORs? The prog director already knows about my skills and I thought re-reading their own letter in my application would be redundant. Also, I have one letter from faculty there and don't know if I should use theirs aswell. They already know me from my observership and feel that great letters from other awesome institutions would solidify their assessments about me. However, other faculty also review my application so I feel a letter from someone inside they personally know could help.

3) I have one strong letter from the Head of School of Medicine at my highly respected foreign medical school (I graduated 3 years ago). How important is this letter compared to recent fresh new letters from top US hospitals? Should I use this over a strong LOR from a top US hospital.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate all your time!!!