LOR addressed to MD PhD instead of MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc84463

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I doubt anyone will care.

Reactions: 1 user
I had quite a few things on my application that suggested that I originally planned to apply MD/PhD, but later decided to apply MD-only.

In my experience, I was asked about my decision to not apply MD/PhD a few times, typically by interviewers who were themselves MD/PhDs. Just make sure you are prepared to explain your reasoning for applying MD-only when it comes up out on the interview trail. This gives you a valuable opportunity to better explain your career goals to the committee, and that's never a bad thing if you are prepared and well-composed in your response.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the net effect is just going to be an added emphasis on your research interests. Unless the LOR specifically says "MD/PhD" in it, in which case the people doing your interviews might ask you why you changed your mind.

I had quite a few things on my application that suggested that I originally planned to apply MD/PhD, but later decided to apply MD-only.

In my experience, I was asked about my decision to not apply MD/PhD a few times, typically by interviewers who were themselves MD/PhDs. Just make sure you are prepared to explain your reasoning for applying MD-only when it comes up out on the interview trail. This gives you a valuable opportunity to better explain your career goals to the committee, and that's never a bad thing if you are prepared and well-composed in your response.
I am interested in what reasons you gave for choosing MD over MD PhD?

I'm a bit out of practice now since it has been six months or so since my last interview, but the heart of it was the time split between research and patient care. I realized I wanted to be a physician first and a researcher second. If that's my goal, then a standard MD at a research-focused school is a better fit than an MD/PhD, which is better left to people who want to stand on that divide.

The only time that didn't seem particularly well received was when the faculty member shifted their coat to reveal their MD/PhD on their ID badge and quickly changed the subject. That was an unsurprising waitlist decision.