LOR Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdr8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my professors I will have to ask for a LOR is one that I do not know terribly well. It was my last option to fill my 3rd faculty LOR requirement for many schools. He said he would be happy to provide me with a LOR, then proceeded to ask me what I wanted him to say and if I could draft up something for him to expand upon. Seeing as I am a student and have never written a LOR before, I don't really know what to "draft up" for him. I started by sending him my resume to look over. Anyone have any advice on how they would go about this situation? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

One of my professors I will have to ask for a LOR is one that I do not know terribly well. It was my last option to fill my 3rd faculty LOR requirement for many schools. He said he would be happy to provide me with a LOR, then proceeded to ask me what I wanted him to say and if I could draft up something for him to expand upon. Seeing as I am a student and have never written a LOR before, I don't really know what to "draft up" for him. I started by sending him my resume to look over. Anyone have any advice on how they would go about this situation? Thank you.

This is his way of saying "idfk what you want me to say, kid. I barely know you. Tell you what, you do the hard part and figure out what I should say, and I'll do the easy part of making it sound good and signing it."

So... what do you want him to say?

Reactions: 1 user
A good letter of recommendation has lots of specific details that show why you are a good candidate. This issue is that since your professor does not know you very well, he may not be privy to all these details. He's letting you write first draft of the letter yourself so that you can include all the salient specifics. Then he'll go over the draft and tweak the wording it to better match his evaluation of you. If need some guidance as to what you need to include in your draft, you can find plenty of example LoRs with a quick Google search.