LoR Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrUranium

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I asked multiple people for letters of recommendation and have about 7. 6/7 have submitted and I have already transmitted them to AMCAS, however, an LoR from my research PI (which I really hope to use) has not been submitted and my PI has not responded to my follow-up email. I have already designated this letter to AMCAs, but have yet to assign my LoRs to my schools because I've been waiting on this letter. I just received an email that my letter is in the queue for verification (and I anticipate it being verified in 1-2 days from now).

Do you recommend that I continue waiting before assigning letters until I receive this letter? Or should I assign letters in order to receive my secondaries (if this choice, do I have to email AMCAs if a letter is no longer to be used)?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, so I asked multiple people for letters of recommendation and have about 7. 6/7 have submitted and I have already transmitted them to AMCAS, however, an LoR from my research PI (which I really hope to use) has not been submitted and my PI has not responded to my follow-up email. I have already designated this letter to AMCAs, but have yet to assign my LoRs to my schools because I've been waiting on this letter. I just received an email that my letter is in the queue for verification (and I anticipate it being verified in 1-2 days from now).

Do you recommend that I continue waiting before assigning letters until I receive this letter? Or should I assign letters in order to receive my secondaries (if this choice, do I have to email AMCAs if a letter is no longer to be used)?
Most schools will send you a secondary without screening, so there is no reason to assign for this purpose. You therefore have another few weeks to see what happens before making a final decision, especially since it is still very early.

This will, however, keep you from being marked complete, and most schools won't review you for an II until you are complete. Absolutely do not assign it until you have it, since THAT will hold you up until it arrives or is marked as no longer coming, which you want to avoid since it's a bad look. If it doesn't come in the next few weeks, just move on and don't use it at all, since you have 6 others.